Manager, EU Relations
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, Brussels, Belgium
Closing Date for Applications:
- Liaise with departments across the Bank to maintain a good overall picture of the different relationships, policy initiatives and current issues between the Bank and the EU institutions. Ensure appropriate information flow and coordination across different teams on the various strands of engagement.
- Support internal reflection on the Bank’s strategy of engagement with the EU institutions, and contribute to strategy papers for management approval.
- Support work on identification of opportunities to deepen and strengthen the Bank’s engagement with the EU institutions; which policy areas, what form of engagement, which EBRD teams/officials to mobilise; timing and substance of such engagement.
- Shared responsibility for the organisation of structured visits for senior EBRD officials to Brussels (i.e. Vice President Policy and Managing Directors, others as appropriate), identification and guidance on timing, interlocutors and substance, accompaniment and guidance of senior officials, preparation of briefing materials, support in the follow-up. Contribute actively to discussions with colleagues involved in EU engagement, contributing the team’s specialist knowledge of the EU institutions, of EU policies and operations, and of different engagement streams. Ensure follow up. Shared responsibility for logistical support for visits.
- Shared responsibility for the organisation of the visits of the EBRD President with senior EU officials, which include visibility events.
- Manage, actively expand and cultivate relations with the Bank’s network of contacts and interlocutors across the EU institutions, with Permanent Representations of EU Member States and Missions of EBRD countries of operation, Brussels offices of international and European bilateral financial institutions and – where possible and relevant – Brussels-based think tanks and NGOs, in areas of interest and relevance to the Bank.
- Represent the Bank at working level in discussions with the EU institutions, accurately representing the Bank’s mandate, operations, specificities, areas of comparative advantage and complementarity, and engagement/collaboration with the EU institutions.
- Shared responsibility for organising representation of the Bank at the appropriate level in key EU events and policy discussions, including from the Brussels Office.
- Shared responsibility for monitoring institutional, policy and operational developments in the EU institutions of relevance to the Bank’s policies, operations and countries of operation, for informing relevant colleagues, and analysing key developments.
- Ensuring EBRD input into important and relevant EU policy papers and processes and to country strategies for EBRD countries of operation. Ensuring appropriate consultation of EU policymakers of key EBRD strategies and policies.
- Support the organisation of Brussels-based events to improve understanding of the Bank and increase EBRD visibility.
- Minimum 5 years of relevant professional work experience. Strong working familiarity with the EU institutions and with EU policy-making processes, preferably gained from substantive work experience in the EU institutions in an area of relevance to the EBRD.
- Good knowledge of EU external relations policies and of EU internal policies of relevance to the Bank’s EU Member State countries of operation. Ideally, experience working with EU cooperation programmes in the Neighbourhood and Central Asia.
- A good understanding of economic and financial issues, sufficient to understand and effectively represent the Bank and its operations. Familiarity with the mandates and operations of international financial institutions.
- Strong policy research and analytical skills, excellent written and oral communications skills with, in particular, the ability to convey complex messages succinctly and clearly.
- Excellent interpersonal co-ordination and negotiation skills. Strong partnership skills.
- Excellent organisational skills, and ability to juggle a large number of tasks, some strategic/analytical/substantive and others more logistical.
- Good working level of French.