The United Nations World Food Program is the largest humanitarian organization fighting hunger in the world. In Niger, WFP has been meeting the needs of poor women, men, boys and girls since 1968. We are working towards the Zero Hunger Target by 2030 by supporting government and community efforts on two fronts, saving lives and change lives.
To save lives we work in crisis areas. We are present in the Lake Chad Basin where violence related to the Boko Haram conflict has displaced thousands of people. This crisis has destabilized the Diffa region in Niger, also precipitating local populations in a high vulnerability. The border with Mali is also subject to increasing instability. WFP provides food assistance in these areas to assist conflict victims, refugees, displaced persons, returnees and host local populations.
To change lives, WFP is working throughout Niger to make people more resilient to shocks, particularly climate ones, which threaten the agricultural capacities and livelihoods of the most vulnerable Nigerians. Our package of integrated activities covers nutrition, school canteens and technical assistance for land reclamation. WFP buys part of its food locally and from small producers to revitalize the national and local economy. Our focus is on building the capacity of government and communities in this country, which is hit by repeated shocks. Thus, people manage to break the vicious circle of poverty and look to the future in a better light.
WFP manages United Nations humanitarian air services, UNHAS. Some regions are far from the capital. Thanks to its devices, UNHAS enables all the humanitarian personnel present in Niger to reach quickly and safely the place of humanitarian operations. This helps to reach vulnerable people, even in the most difficult to reach areas.
Independent studies have shown that WFP's interventions in Niger are bearing fruit. These results confirm that our efforts in support of the government contribute, with the support of our donors, to support the development of Niger.
For more information, follow WFP's activities at
Objective : Coordinate and execute surveillance activities in a specific coverage area and provide reports to support the effective delivery of assistance programs.
- Under the general supervision of the Head of Sub-Bureau and the direct supervision of the Head of Unit, the Monitoring Assistant will be responsible for the coordination and execution of monitoring and supervision activities in the sub-office's coverage area, and the preparation of reports and analyzes to support the effective implementation of assistance programs. Specifically, the Monitoring Assistant will be responsible for:
- Check the planned movements and distributions of food or non-food items, resolve routine issues and, where appropriate, escalate them to ensure that the quantity distributed and the quality of the operation are compliant with WFP standards.
- Collect and summarize data on assistance programs (maintain a database), collaborate with cooperating partners as needed, perform analysis and prepare reports for program reviews and decision-making.
- Liaise with cooperating partners and national counterparts to gather feedback to underpin program revisions and improve services.
- Propose improvements to field monitoring processes and procedures for effective implementation of assistance programs.
- Organize regular meetings with community leaders and commodity pipeline cooperation partners, distribution organization, food rights, protection, gender, accountability and other relevant issues in order to have a flow of communication and effective operations.
- Train cooperating partners on WFP operational practices, tools and monitoring methods to help them monitor and contribute to WFP's visibility in the coverage areas.
- Carry out monitoring / supervision missions alone or with technical services to measure the quality of program implementation in accordance with MAP rules and procedures.
- Prepare field mission reports to document the implementation of the program and make recommendations for improving WFP activities.
- Follow established emergency response processes and procedures for emergency food assistance.
- Regularly update the different monitoring databases of intervention sites, the entry of statistical data on education and nutrition activities, the COMET ( Country Management Tools ) platform , etc.
- Contribute to the collection of data and information on food and nutrition security in the areas of intervention or interest of WFP Niger.
- Perform other duties related to the function.
- Regular monitoring of WFP interventions is carried out.
- WFP intervention databases are regularly updated.
- A flow of communication with cooperating partners and assisted communities is maintained.
- The quality of WFP program implementation is carried out on the basis of the monitoring and evaluation tools of WFP Niger.
- Information on the food and nutrition situation in the WFP Niger intervention zones is collected and reported at regional and national level.
- Understanding and Communicating Strategic Objectives: Assists teammates to articulate WFP strategic objectives.
- Being a force for positive change: Suggests potential improvements to work processes from team to supervisor
- Make the mission a source of inspiration for our team: Explain the impact of WFP's activities in the beneficiary communities to teammates.
- Make our mission known in everyday actions: Explain how the unit's responsibilities will serve WFP's mission.
- Look for ways to build people's skills: Train junior teammates on new skills and abilities.
- Create an inclusive culture: Seek opportunities to work with people from different backgrounds.
- Develop and provide constructive feedback: Serves as a reference coach for colleagues in the same work area.
- Create a "I Want" / "We Will Do" spirit: Continues progress toward goals and shares this information on a regular basis with the supervisor.
- Encouraging innovation and creative solutions: Explore ways to be consistently more efficient and accurate in one's own areas of work and share new ways of working with colleagues
- Focus on Achieving Results: Focuses on achieving results and tracks completion rate trends for own tasks to identify opportunities for effectiveness
- Make commitments and respect them: Takes responsibility for its own tasks and informs the supervisor as soon as possible of possible delays in meeting deadlines or commitments
- Be decisive: Decides independently of what to do about critical choices in the workplace or in dangerous situations on the ground
- Connect and share between WFP units: Suggests partnership opportunities with other units to the supervisor.
- Building Strong External Partnerships: Identifies opportunities to work with colleagues and partners in the field towards common goals
- Be politically agile and adaptable: Understands the value of WFP teams and external partners in achieving the goals and objectives of the team.
- Understand the value that WFP brings to partners: Aligns its own activities with the priorities of the supervisor to meet the needs of internal and external partners
- Knowledge of results-based management and familiarity with monitoring and evaluation concepts, systems and standards
- Knowledge in the areas of monitoring and evaluation and programming / database design.
- Mastery of systems and methodologies for the collection and processing of quantitative and qualitative survey data.
- Advanced knowledge in MS Excel. Good knowledge of other statistical analysis software (STATA, SPSS, etc.) is desirable.
MINIMAL QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED
Education : High School Diploma. A post-secondary certificate in the related functional area is desirable.
- Excellent command of French.
- Proficiency in local languages in the sub-office's coverage area.
- Fluency in English is an asset.
- Education: High school diploma required. BAC + 3 in nutrition, agronomy, social science, monitoring and evaluation, project management, statistics or related field desirable.
- Experience : 4 years of professional experience including at least 3 years in product data and program results analysis, qualitative and quantitative data collection, data management and analysis.