Marine Programme Intern
International Union for Conservation of Nature, Malaga, Spain
Closing Date for Applications:
- The International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) was founded in 1948 and brings together over 1,100 members (States, government agencies, NGOs and affiliates) and some 11,000 scientists and experts from 181 countries in a unique worldwide partnership. Its mission is to influence, encourage and assist societies throughout the world to conserve the integrity and diversity of nature and to ensure that any use of natural resources is equitable and ecologically sustainable. IUCN has approximately 1,000 staff, most of whom are located in its regional and country offices, and at its Headquarters in Gland, Switzerland. IUCN is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from qualified women and men.
- The IUCN Center for Mediterranean Cooperation, based in Malaga Spain, is seeking a motivated candidate for a marine intern to support the Marine Biodiversity and Blue Economy Programme.
- Our placements offer valuable work experience toward the candidate’s professional development, increasing its skills and knowledge on marine conservation management while working with an international organisation.
- As a volunteer or intern, you will work as part of a team in the areas of project management, communications and research.
- The Marine Programme Intern is expected to support the work of IUCN is developing in the Mediterranean, with special focus on communication and data analysis in deep-sea environment, marine endangered species with spatial management.
This internship position will provide the candidate with opportunities to apply and advance his/her knowledge and research skills in the following topical areas:
- Spatial data analysis, visualization and communications;
- Understand specific policy frameworks and indicators for demonstrating conservation outcomes and impacts of marine conservation actions;
- The intern, under the supervision of the Marine Biodiversity and Blue Economy Programme manager and working with the office´s team, will assist to accomplish the following tasks:
- Prepare communication materials on IUCN Med marine conservation initiatives for different social media
- Develop maps and infographic products, using ArcGIS on diverse marine topics after some data analysis
- Provide support, research on the latest scientific and country´s information knowledge on Mediterranean deep-sea
- Conduct other task/emerging issues assigned by her supervisor to ensure the effective implementation of the programme.
- This call is restricted to students or early graduates who are still in the capacity of performing an internship under the framework of their institution.
- In case of non EU students, they should get a valid EU Visa before starting the internship.
- Maximum 6-month duration at the Mediterranean Cooperation Center of IUCN in Malaga (Spain). Optional as a remote position.
- This position has an allowance of 650 € gross per month fur full time dedication.
- Current or recent MSc student with a degree in relevant fields, such as marine ecology, environmental science, natural resource management, environmental management and communications, or other disciplines.
- Good organizational and communication skills
- Strong GIS skills and proficiency in GIS. Application of remote-sensing applications (e.g. Google Earth Engine, ArcGIS) a plus.
- Ability to stay organized and work independently with minimum supervision;
- Curious, autonomous, and having a capacity of analysis of synthesis of texts and technical reports
- Excellent writing and editing skills in English. Good knowledge of French and/or Spanish is an asset.