Market Assessment - Senior Specialist
United Nations Development Programme, Beira, Mozambique
Closing Date for Applications:
The consultant is expected to use desk study, field survey, participatory approaches to collect both quantitative and qualitative data. Data and information will be collected from local businesses (SMEs) both formal and informal, business and traders’ associations, private companies, local authorities, government agencies, microfinance institutions, business service providers and selected vocational training centres, big companies and businesses providing services and business opportunities and multinational companies (extractive sector) with potential of provision of business opportunities to MSMEs and associations. Data analyses will be expected to be carried out in a way that respond to the objectives of the assignment and show clearly how the specific objectives outlined below have been covered.
Duties and Responsibilities
Specifically, the specialist is expected to:
- Assess market supply and demand for goods, products, and services in the areas on agriculture, fisheries, commerce, tourism, extractive and mining sector, and other sectors dominated by the most vulnerable persons.
- Identify challenges and barriers that limit micro-businesses access to markets
- Recommend solutions that enable market access and exploitation of business opportunities by micro and small enterprises
- Identify market opportunities for design of interventions with high potential to facilitate growth and development of micro and small enterprises
- Identify business, enterprise and technical skills required by micro and small entrepreneurs to create self-employment through businesses
- Identify market opportunities for enterprises dominated by women and youth in the selected sectors to be promoted in future MSMEs support programs
- Identify micro-business opportunities, especially those appropriate for women and youth, with a focus on fisheries, agriculture and other sectors dominated by the cyclone affected persons
- Identify barriers to access to business development services and micro finance by micro and small businesses
- Design and recommend strategies for the creation and establishment of market linkages between lead firms and micro and small enterprises in fisheries, agriculture and other sectors dominated by cyclone affected persons.
- Identify policy issues at strategic level that affect access to markets and business opportunities by micro and small businesses
Required Skills and Experience
- At least master’s degree in business management, economics, administration, agribusiness, or related areas.
- At least 7 years of professional experience in business, micro and small enterprises and market development, private sector development, marketing, market supply and demand for holders of master’s degree and least 4 years’ experience for PhD holders.
- Proven experience (evidence of reports) in conducting market research or analysis and/or private sector development on supply and demand of goods, services, and facilities or marketing in agriculture, fisheries, forestry, tourism, and other business sectors dominated by vulnerable people
- Experience with UNDP, other UN agencies or international development organizations is an asset
- Regional experience in Southern Africa region particularly in Mozambique is an advantage
- Excellent experience in development policies, planning and strategies.
- Fluency in spoken and written English and Portuguese
- Knowledge of Ndau, Sena, Kimwani or Maconde an added advantage