Market Based Sanitation Strategy Development in Haiti
Based in Haiti
Up to 7 weeks
Reports to Executive Director, OHMaSS
PSI applies its expertise in private sector engagement and market development approaches to design, develop and implement water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) programs. PSI’s WASH portfolio supports the implementation of market development programs in both urban and rural areas to ensure consumer-centered sustainable sanitation solutions for target populations.
PSI’s seeks a dynamic, results-oriented, business-minded, sanitation consultant familiar with market-based sanitation programs to support the global WASH team and the Organisation Haïtienne de Marketing Social pour la Santé (OHMaSS) in developing a market-based sanitation strategy and a communication and marketing strategy for behavioral change. The consultant will analyze and present relevant data to feed into a market landscape analysis and use those findings to prepare a strategy. The results will help lay out a pathway for sustainable sanitation market development with products that are desirable and affordable to Haitian consumers, an active and engaged local private sector and functioning supply chain, and good leadership from government to positively influence the development and functioning of the sanitation market in Haiti. The position requires fluency in English and French and will report to the Executive Director of OHMaSS.
Sound like you? Read on.
The main deliverables are the market-based sanitation strategy and a social behavior change communications strategy. These two strategies will be presented in a single rural sanitation strategy. The strategy will showcase the formative research and present clear methodologies and intervention recommendations (based on addressing root causes of actual market failures) for increasing access to and use of sanitation facilities in rural areas (including schools and health care facilities). The strategy will highlight a zero-household subsidy approach in alignment with DINEPA’s strategy. It will include recommendations on affordable and desirable sanitation technology, marketing advice on improving household’s willingness to pay, and recommendations for who and how to engage from the private sector (both local, national and international). The reports and strategy will need to be presented in French.
- Completed summary and analysis of desk review of existing formative research and presentation of initial findings
- Field data collection conducted including:
- Data collection plan
- Executive summary of market landscape assessment
- Production to Use Spectrum
- PowerPoint summary
- Completed market landscape analysis
- Completed market-based sanitation and behavior change communications and marketing strategy (integrated rural sanitation strategy with description and details of approaches, implementation plan, budget, and monitoring and evaluation plan)
- Active participate in workshop presenting insights from data collection.
- Assistance with initiating strategy as needed.
- Carry out follow up review of implementation of the strategy after 12 months.
- Submit report of follow up review with recommendations for improving implementation and suggestions on iterations in the strategy based on implementation science.
- Submit a detailed research plan and timeline describing the activities in the development of the integrated rural sanitation strategy including plans for collaboration and input gathering with relevant stakeholders and market actors in five communes (to be selected by donor).
- Become familiar with PSI’s Market Development Approach, process and prototypes.
- Carry out the desk review of data secondary and of the existing formative research.
- Submit desk review that examines the functions, players, relationships and incentives within the sanitation marketplace
- In collaboration with DINEPA and donor, contact with schools, health centers, local businesses, manufacturers, importers, suppliers and trade marketing companies as necessary for the development of strategy.
- Lead the development of the integrated sanitation strategy with donor, PSI, and OHMaSS.
- Work closely with OHMaSS key personnel to develop her skills and expertise in market-based sanitation.
- Carry out field research, train enumerators as needed, and conduct interviews.
- Conduct training of trainers for market-based sanitation in the methodologies proposed.
- Submit an integrated rural sanitation strategy (draft, second draft, and final)
- Conduct 12-month review and submit final report of review
- Submit updated sanitation strategy based on review.
What are we looking for?
- Previous familiarity with market-based sanitation approaches and developing market-based sanitation strategies and implementation plans.
- Expertise in marketing and social behavior change communication.
- Sanitation working experience in Haiti.
- Strong communications skills, both verbal and written.
- Strong technical understanding of WASH sector and best practices and approaches to sustainable programming, especially market development and business.
- Familiarity with the business side of WASH.
- Masters Engineering Degree in water and sanitation.
- At least eight years of expertise working on WASH in developing countries.
- Special attention to detail and timeliness.
- Professional proficiency in French and English.
How to apply
Consultants should apply online by 12 noon EST December 5, 2018. Proposals should include the following:
- CV of lead consultant and any other key people;
- Brief indication of recent market-based sanitation strategy development experience; description of marketing and social behavior change communications expertise;
- Brief indication of proposed process and timelines, including who will be involved and when;
- Full cost proposal, with a separate breakdown of fees/salaries, travel, and project expenses (variable, based on an estimate).
POSTION CONTINGENT ON FUNDING
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.