FATA’s unique constitutional history, conflict and lack of development have contributed, over time, to a worsening of human and economic development status relative to the rest of the country. Starting 2008, increased militancy in the region saw over 300,000 families displaced from their homes and communities. The human cost of these has been immense: currently, FATA has an annual growth rate of 2.19%, a National Multi-Dimensional Poverty Index of 19.7%, adult literacy rate of 33.3% (compared to 58% for Pakistan as a whole) and head count poverty rate of 52.3%.
As the return process concludes, erstwhile FATA’s weak economy and high levels of unemployment remain one of the main factors of instability in the region. Revitalising livelihoods, providing for local economic recovery and creating jobs and inclusive growth for the long-term, is one of UNDP’s key priorities in FATA over the next two years.
Under its FATA Transition and Recovery Programme (FTRP), UNDP is seeking to increase public confidence in local civilian state institutions in erstwhile FATA by providing rehabilitation support in target return areas according to needs, promoting community participation (particularly by women and youth) in decision making and implementation of recovery activities and providing sustainable livelihood opportunities leading to long term economic growth of FATA.
Under the overall guidance of the Programme Manager and Programme Specialist, the M&E coordinator for FATA Transition and Recovery Programme will be responsible for ensuring the implementation of monitoring and evaluation policies and strategies, focusing on achievement of the programme’s goals.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions
The M&E coordinator will work under the guidance and supervision of the FTRP Programme Manager and in collaboration with project team members and implementing partners. S/he will be responsible for the day-to day management of the M&E component of the FTRP as well as for the design and management of M&E strategies to ensure that programme’s short-term outcomes and long-term goals are correctly assessed.
Specific responsibilities include the following:
- Implementation of monitoring and evaluation policies and strategies
- Coordination of the monitoring and evaluation methodologies and process
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing on monitoring and evaluation
Performs any other duties as requested
Ensures the implementation of monitoring and evaluation policies and strategies, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Provide inputs to establish a system to ensure regular project monitoring and spot checks and follow up on the implementation of recommendations by the programme and project teams
- Provide training for implementing partners on monitoring process
- Prepare periodic Result Oriented Reports (monthly, quarterly, Annual) and other periodic reports for the government and stakeholders
- Support CO management decision making and compliance with corporate programming and reporting requirements by preparing and sharing project quality updates/reports
- Support planning, budgeting, implementing and monitoring of project, tracking use of financial resources in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations
- Participation in the planning, preparation and management of thematic, country programme/project evaluations and other types of evaluations
- Promotion of monitoring and evaluation standards, quality assurance/control and capacity development in the project team.
- Contribution to the monitoring and evaluation workplan.
- Coordination of specific monitoring and evaluation missions for development projects, sectoral/thematic evaluations or desk evaluations/studies on selected sectors/themes.
Ensures effective coordination of the monitoring and evaluation process of the project, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Provide inputs to assess project performance to identify success factors and incorporate best practices into project work
- Ensures monitoring framework is updated weekly using consolidated information from all project partners
- Participates in the formulation of project proposals and ensures substantive inputs in the design and application of proven successful approach
- Provision of the technical advice at the design stage of project interventions setting up a framework with defined indicators at the design stage to facilitate the evaluation at the later stages.
- Preparation of analytical documents on areas evaluated, effectiveness and impact of project
- Follow up on implementation of evaluation recommendations. Ensuring the optimal use of evaluations by providing guidance in preparation of timely management response to all mandatory evaluations and by developing a communication plan.
Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the area of monitoring and evaluation, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Document bottlenecks, problems and issues, and proposes effective solutions
- Document and analyse innovative strategies and new approaches
- Identification and formulation of evaluation findings, lessons learned and recommendations to be integrated into broader knowledge management efforts, disseminated in learning events and channelled into decision-making processes;
- Collaboration and coordination with other UN agencies, government agencies, NGOs, and other organizations on monitoring and evaluation issues.
- Participate in the conduct of results-oriented monitoring and evaluation training efforts in the Country Office.
Required Skills and Experience
- Generates commitment, excitement and excellence in others
- Creates new opportunities for team, not just self to learn and take on new responsibilities.
- Actively shares knowledge.
Communication and Relationship Management
- Synthesizes information to communicate independent analysis
- Communicates ideas and positions with command and confidence.
- Finds common ground to solve problems.
- Adept with complex concepts and challenges convention purposefully
- Critically assesses established methods.
- Contributes to prototyping, piloting, and evaluating lessons / feedback.
- Appropriately involves team in different stages of work and decision-making
- Seeks and values other’s initiatives and expertise.
- Supervises teams with consistent direction and drives team engagement.
- Meets goals and quality criteria for delivery of products or services
- Embraces complex challenges and opportunities for getting work done
- Ability to embrace challenges with minimal supervision
- Works to develop organizational awareness of UNDP’s approach to client service delivery and integrity and accountability