The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfilment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation
DRC Jordan is looking for a qualified individual to fill the role of MEAL Assistant - Accountability Assistant who is responsible for assisting in the systematic receipt, processing and response to community feedback and complaints from DRC programs, which come through various mechanisms such as hotlines, help desk, suggestion boxes, etc. This role will be based in Amman and involve regular visits to the field.
About the job
The individual will report directly to MEAL Manager. Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
Handling feedback and complaints:
- Answer/listen, process, respond to complaints and provide support to beneficiaries who are seeking help through DRC’s Complaints Review Mechanisms (CRM).
- Ensure that all staff, partners and communities are aware of the proper channels and circumstances to report complaints and feedback. Specifically, monitor and support field teams in all DRC locations in the sensitization of all beneficiaries on the feedback and complaints mechanism.
- Enter and track all complaints and feedback received and ensure proper documentation of data in DRC’s complaints and feedback database in Gamma.
- Ensure the follow up and resolution of all complaints in line with the FCM SOPs.
- In collaboration with the Accountability Officer, support in the development of a monthly complaints and feedback report.
- Maintain clear tracking procedures for each case following DRC accountability procedures, with oversight from the Accountability Officer.
- Provide inductions to new staff on the complaints and feedback mechanism.
- Support the Accountability Officer in continually identifying opportunities to adapt and improve the country program’s beneficiary and feedback complaint mechanism and ensure inclusivity for different vulnerable groups (elderly, illiterate, children, etc).
- Support the Accountability Officer to work with DRC partners to agree on how they will raise and handle complaints against each other in a safe and accessible way, and to put this agreement into practice.
General support to DRC accountability activities:
- Assist Accountability Officer in ensuring that accountability standard operating procedures (SOPs) are up-to date, translated into Arabic, and share with all relevant DRC staff.
- Assist Accountability Officer in with conducting accountability related trainings and capacity development for DRC staff and partners.
- Support DRC program teams with ongoing activities to enhance DRC’s commitment to the core humanitarian and accountability standards.
- Attend the program cash distributions and other distributions to ensure the implementation of the accountability distribution checklist and any other procedures assigned.
- Carry out additional responsibilities and project tasks as assigned by the Accountability Officer or MEAL Specialist.
- BS Degree in business administration, social work, social sciences, humanities or other relevant discipline is required.
Required / Desirable
- A minimum of 6 months of experience in working in a relief or development NGO in a similar role.
- Previous experience working in customer care or customer service.
- Excellent communication skills in Arabic and English.
- Ability to communicate key information in an easy to understand, informative and collaborative manner.
- Good contextual knowledge of local community and social/cultural constraints, realities and organizational relationships.
- Strong organization, planning, and time management skills.
- Genuine care and respect for needs of others, practically vulnerable populations with strong belief in empowering marginalized and disenfranchised people.
- High integrity and willingness to conduct her\himself transparently and open to scrutiny.
- Fluent in written and spoken Arabic
- Good in written and spoken English
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.