To work with others to overcome poverty and suffering in Nepal and to communicate Oxfam in Nepal effectively to external stakeholders. Increase the profile through information and communicate the results of Oxfam’s programme through in publication, social and printed media. Provide technical support and expertise on all communications work for Oxfam in Nepal. Work with the programme teams to produce high quality and a variety of communication material to showcase the impact of our work to stakeholders, including donors and government to influence the issues that Oxfam in Nepal is working on.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
Deliver high quality visibility and quality impact of Oxfam Programmes (60%)
- Draft and/or copy-edit all communications and knowledge products of Oxfam in Nepal and ensure that those materials are communicated through appropriate channels
- Write and/or copy-edit all corporate materials on Oxfam in Nepal programme and ensure these materials are communicated through appropriate channels.
- Ensure that all communication and knowledge products follow Oxfam’s brand guidelines and sign-off process.
- Provide technical support and advise to programme staff and partners on knowledge management and communication methods and materials- such as documenting best practice case stories, photos, annual reports, newsletters, blogs, video etc.
- Organize story gathering/ media trips to generate stories, photos, films and video clips from Oxfam’s programmes on Gender Equity and Social Inclusion, Food and Economic justice, WaSH and Water Governance, and Humanitarian/DRR and CCA
- Design and coordinate media visit from affiliates and national/ international media (as relevant) to show evidence from ground and at national level.
- Produce communication products such as brochures, Annual reports, flyers, IEC materials, newsletters as needed
- Regularly upload contents for website, Facebook,Twitter, and You Tube Maintain and support Oxfam’s internal communications and knowledge management process (20%)
- Act as the first point of contact for regional and global information and communications enquiries and advice.
- Maintain an overview of programme and project documentation, ensuring that appropriate information is generated to communicate the impact of Oxfam’s programme.
- Work closely with and support and/or guide different programme teams and partners to ensure high quality content and communication products – such as best practice case stories, photos, annual reports, newsletters, blogs, video etc.
Build media and communications capacity of programme and partner staff (20%)
- Monitor the national, regional and global news outlets and provide a regular media and communications update for relevant national and regional and global teams.
- Maintain a good and functional contact with national and sub-national media houses.
- Organize basic communications training and workshops for Oxfam staff and partners and organize follow ups as required
Ensure that proper logistics systems and procedures are followed in the procurement of quality goods and services related to communications products.
Technical Skills, Experience & Knowledge
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, mass communication, development studies, social work or a related field
- At least 3 years of relevant work experience gained within a civil society organisation, media, communications or public relations or marketing team
- Ability to gather information, collate and systematize for effective communication
- Excellent and fluent in written English (and Nepali when required); able to write excellent articles and stories for different audiences
- Proficiency in copy-editing and design and the ability to develop excellent English written material for PR
- Ability and willingness to travel within the country, as required
- Good interpersonal skills; tact, diplomacy and negotiation skills
- A strong ability to develop good contacts and to advise and provide support to Oxfam’s spokespersons
- Knowledge of Nepal and international development issues and concerns including gender issues
- Should be a self-starter who can work within a framework and with some support within multi-cultural teams
Desirable: Proficiency in layout, design and graphics. Photo and video editing skills