Media and Communications Officer
IOM, Amman, Jordan
2 years of relevant work experience
Closing Date for Applications:
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM), and direct supervision of the Programme Coordinator and Liaison Officer in Jordan, and in close coordination with the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) Regional Communications Officer and the Media and Communications Division in HQ, the successful candidate will assist with aspects of the implementation of external Communications for IOM Jordan.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Collect, compile and provide identified information to the CoM on public relations and media matters of interest.
- Provide logistical and administrative support for the organization and implementation of press conferences and public engagements of the CoM.
- Draft inputs and collect pertinent information for coordinated responses to anti-migrant stigma and disinformation.
- In close coordination with the Regional Media and Communications Officer and the Media and Communications Division in Headquarters (HQ), draft segments of public information materials, press briefing notes, website and social media content, and newsletters in clear and concise English and Arabic.
- Draft portions of press notes, human-interest stories and other programme-related communications materials for approval and subsequent dissemination to an international audience. Compile photographs, video clips and other news stories and images, checking if informed consent was obtained including through digital informed consent forms.
- Update the national media contact database.
- Provide logistical and administrative support for the implementation of global communications initiatives such as designated UN international days, IOM perception change campaigns, the Global Migration Film Festival, and International Migrants Day.
- Apply all relevant IOM data protection guidelines and procedures.
- Apply appropriate gender awareness in all inputs drafted.
- Attend regional and/or national UN Communications Groups and relevant interagency media and communication working groups, as required.
- Prepare cost estimates and timelines for donor projects and visibility requirements.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Journalism, Media Communications, Public Information, Public Health Management or a related field from an accredited academic institution; or
- University degree in the above fields with two years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience working with IOM and/or another UN agency preferred;
- Experience handling a press conference;
- Understanding of social media and solid experience working with UN media.
- Delivers on set objectives in hardship situations;
- Effectively coordinates actions with other implementing partners;
- Works effectively with local authorities, stakeholders, beneficiaries, and the broader community to advance country office or regional objectives;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- An ability to work on big strategy plans as well as day-to-day tasks;
- Ability to think both creatively and strategically;
- Demonstrated high competency as a writer and editor in English;
- Demonstrated photojournalism skills;
- Knowledge of graphic design, web, social media and video production;
- Responds well under pressure with strict time limit;
- Deadline-oriented, inquisitive, with great follow-up and reporting skills.
- IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.