Media Capacity Building Coordinator
United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction, Panama City, Panama
Closing Date for Applications:
Result of Service
- Regional Media network active with a clear structure and operational modalities.
- Successful media participation in VII Regional Platform.
- Media training carried out and media training with WBU set up for 2022.
- Q&A (at least 3) organized and implemented.
- Webpage://drrhub.org/ set up and the public into Spanish.
- Clear guidance on the inclusion of the media into national and local Disaster Risk reduction plans.
- Good practices and impact stories identified (at least 5).
- One tsunami session organized at VII Regional Platform.
- 6 months starting from 02 July 2021
Duties and Responsibilities
The consultant will report to the Public Information Assistant of the United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNDRR) Regional Office for the Americas and the Caribbean (ROAMC), in close coordination with the communication unit at Headquarters and the regional teams of the VII Regional Platform (VII RP). Technical support for this position may be provided by other staff members of the Regional Office, especially from the administrative unit.
- Support and coordinate the development of the media webpage://drrhub.org/ into Spanish.
- Include relevant regional content (Americas and the Caribbean) to the web page.
- Propose in a participatory way the governance and communication structure and set it up for the regional media network of the Americas and the Caribe (an initial list of interested members is already available).
- Follow up the engagement and communication with the regional media network.
- Strengthen our relationship and visibility with regional media outlet agencies.
- Design and implement relevant regional media training modules based on UNDRR corporate material.
- Implement regular communication with media networks (newsletters, meetings, innovative channels, invitation to events, and Q&A sessions).
- Organize Q&A sessions for the media on relevant topics.
- Provide guidance on how to include media communication and support in National and local Disaster Risk Reduction Plans (target E).
- Identify good practices, impact stories and experiences for the promotion and dissemination at local, national, regional, and global levels as well as provide inputs for effective communication and visibility in line with UNDRR and donor requirements.
- Coordinate with the World Broadcasting Union (WBU) the rollout of the 2022 training in Spanish (coordinate translation and preparation of materials, liaison with WBU, identify participants, etc.).
- Organize and coordinate media participation to the VII Regional Platform session and other preparatory events (media invitation, media registration, media handbook preparation, media section web page, press conferences organization, talking points preparation for media engagement; general media coordination and management, press releases, RP media training, media monitoring among others actions concerning media).
- Support organization of the tsunamis side event or ignite space session during RP21.
- Other activities as requested by UNDRR.
- Excellent analytical, reporting and communication skills are required.
- Ability to work in highly stressful contexts and under tight deadlines is required.
- Knowledge of the work carried out by the UNDRR Americas and Caribbean office is a plus.
- Academic Qualifications: A first-level university degree in journalism, communication, media relations is required.
- A minimum of 3 years of experience in the field of journalism and media relation is required.
- Experience with of experience in the field of disaster risk reduction, climate change, and/or sustainable development is an asset.
- Experience with UNDRR work in the region of the Americas and the Caribbean is an asset.
- Experience working in a multicultural context is desirable.
- Fluency in English and Spanish is required. Knowledge of another UN working language is an advantage.