Thinking of a Career in Emergency Management?
- BY Nicole Pelette
Terms of Reference for Head of Media
Alif Ailaan is a campaign that seeks to make education a central part of the national conversation in Pakistan and get all our children in school and learning well.
Media communications play a pivotal role in ensuring that the campaign’s messages are delivered effectively to its target audiences.
The Head of Media is responsible for all aspects of Alif Ailaan’s media communications conducted via paid and earned media. The Head of Media will work closely in collaboration with fellow Campaign Managers covering Digital Media (comprising the campaign’s owned media), Political Advocacy, Data & Evidence, Civil Society and Alliances, and will report to the Campaign Director.
Specific responsibilities will include the following:
● Effectively engage journalists and develop their understanding of education issues
● Achieve regular and in-depth coverage of education issues through press releases, media facilities and collaboration to achieve news stories, features, op-eds and TV programmes
● Lead on the creation and dissemination of media products (press releases, videos, documentaries, infographics etc.)
● Manage creative and media buying agencies to ensure production and placement of paid media campaigns (TV, radio, print and outdoor)
● Provide technical assistance on media communications for Alif Ailaan’s campaign partners and activists
● Manage media contact and record database, monitor and report outcomes of key media activities
Experience and Skills
The Head of Media must demonstrate the following qualifications and skill sets:
A Masters or Bachelor’s degree
A minimum of 5 years of relevant working experience
Strong understanding of Pakistan’s media and political landscape
Excellent written, presentation and communication skills in both Urdu and English and preferably in one regional language
Ability to spot and capitalise on key opportunities that may arise
Co-operative working practices, sound professional and ethical practices
The ideal applicant will have exceptional interpersonal skills, a wide professional network, and demonstrate a keenness and passion for fundamental change in the status of education in Pakistan.