Medical Officer, Adolescent Health
World Health Organisation(WHO), Cairo, Egypt
Closing Date for Applications:
Description of duties:
Under the supervision of the Regional Adviser on Child and Adolescent Health, the incumbent will undertake the following activities:
- Analyse the health needs of the young people in the Region for developing evidence-based strategic directions on adolescent health in the Member States;
- Develop regional guides on adolescent health;
- Conduct desk reviews, country field missions and programme analyses to support countries in the development of national strategies on adolescent health adapted to the country context;
- Provide technical support to develop country capacity for, and conduct all main programme components of, adolescent health and development, including planning, in-service and pre-service training, communication, monitoring and evaluation;
- Advocate and foster partnerships in adolescent health in the region;
- Organize adolescent health inter-country activities in the Region and produce related documentation;
- Identify programme indicators and conduct situation analyses, collaborate in the planning and conduct of programme reviews and evaluations and develop country profiles on adolescent health in coordination with countries and partners.
- Essential: University degree in medicine and master degree in Public Health.
- Desirable: Post graduate training in paediatrics, reproductive health and/or social behavioural and related sciences. Additional training in adolescent health-related programmes and interventions.
Functional Skills and Knowledge:
- Technical and managerial competence in public adolescent health; excellent communication, analytical and interpersonal skills; leadership qualities and ability to make prompt decisions on programmatic issues in the field; competence in writing guidelines and strategic documents; ability to work effectively and harmoniously with colleagues and staff at national and international levels.
Other Skills (e.g. IT):
- Computer literacy: word processing, spreadsheet and presentation software.
- Knowledge and ability to use database programmes is an advantage.
- Essential: At least 7 years of experience in adolescent health and public health related areas with exposure to international experience; experience in conducting quantitative and qualitative studies, managing public health programmes, including planning, capacity-building, monitoring and evaluation, and collaborating with international agencies and partners.
- Desirable: Experience in community health and pre-service education is an asset. Experience with UN, at both regional and country levels, in public health programmes, preferably adolescent public health programme, is an asset.
- Excellent knowledge of English. Working knowledge of Arabic or French an advantage.