Mental Health and Psychosocial Support (MHPSS) Officer
IOM, South Sudan
Closing Date for Applications:
Under the administrative supervision of the Head of Sub-Office in Malakal and the direct supervision of the Mental Health and Psychosocial Support (MHPSS) Programme Manager (Psychologist) based in Juba, the successful candidate will be responsible and accountable for the coordination, implementation, and monitoring of the IOM MHPSS portfolio in Upper Nile State, according to relevant international guidelines and standards.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Support the MHPSS Programme Manager (Psychologist) by identifying programme gaps in Upper Nile State (internally displaced persons (IDP) and host community settings) and contribute technical inputs for the development of project proposals, including recommending new donors and thematic areas of technical intervention.
- Implement level 2, 3 and 4 MHPSS services which are in line with the Inter-Agency Standing Committe (IASC) intervention pyramid in Malakal Protection of Civilians (PoC) and town where applicable, in close coordination with the local WG
- In coordination with field based MHPSS Specialists, provide adequate capacity building (Psychological First Aid (PFA), MHPSS guidelines, Mental Health Gap Humanitarian Intervention Guide (mhGAP), referral pathways) to IOM MHPSS staff, psychosocial mobile teams and other relevant actors where applicable, such as line ministries, IDPs and host community members.
- Check that the MHPSS programme is driven by a sound Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability, and Learning (MEAL) framework and qualitative and quantitative indicators are relevant and updated.
- Coordinate and supervise the IOM MHPSS team in Malakal, including volunteers, and ensure compliance to IOM administrative procedures.
- Check that work-plans for staff and psychosocial mobile teams are adhered to and provide timely updates to the supervisor.
- Participate in various cluster meetings, working groups, and mapping exercises.
- In coordination with the National MHPSS TWG Coordinator, act as a focal point for the MHPSS WG in Malakal and participate in the development of an appropriate work plan, capacity needs assessment as well as referral pathway in close collaboration with member organisations.
- Liaise with line ministries connected to MHPSS and other relevant civil society actors and explore future possibilities of capacity building.
- Check that MHPSS mainstreaming is provided effectively.
- Undertake psychosocial needs assessments as needed.
- Ensure that confidentiality and the right to privacy is maintained regarding confidential information.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Clinical Psychology or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
- Experiences in providing services to displaced populations, migrants, refugees or conflict affected populations;
- Significant experience in implementing MHPSS projects, providing supervision, coaching, and mentoring to both specialists and non-specialists;
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge of UN and international agencies structures. Experience in capacity building activities and curriculum development is an advantage;
- Previous working experience in South Sudan is an advantage.
- Effectively applies knowledge of mental health and psychosocial issues in execution of responsibilities at appropriate level; maintains confidentiality and discretion in appropriate areas of work;
- Skilled at developing culturally relevant psychotherapeutic interventions;
- Demonstrated expertise and thorough knowledge on the practical application of the IASC Guidelines on MHPSS in Emergency Settings;
- Knowledgeable on the psychosocial impact of forced displacement.