Migration Data Analysis Consultant
United Nations Population Fund, New York, United States
Closing Date for Applications:
Purpose of consultancy:
The consultancy is located within the Population and Development Branch (PDB), Technical Division. The consultant will work
with a small team of experts in UNFPA HQ and West and Central Africa Regional Office (WCARO) with the primary task of
coordinating the statistical analysis of survey data from all 7 locations. As time allows, the consultant will support the
integration of results from the qualitative analysis within the summary report.
The purpose of consultancy is to produce a “findings” report that integrates results from the seven cities to inform UNFPA
programming on supporting youth migrants.
During the term of this consultancy, incumbent will be expected to perform the following activities:
- Develop analysis plan in collaboration with HQ and WCARO project team
- Coordinate the harmonization and analysis of survey data from the 7 cities collected among young male and female migrants
- Expected themes of analysis will include: drivers of migration; exposure to violence and harassment at home, in transit and in the current cities; engagement with social services and networks of support; sexual and reproductive health needs and engagement with local health services; possibly others.
- Share the results of the analysis with the team and generate data visualizations, as necessary;
- Where necessary, write analytical codes that are clean and easily replicable by other staff working on the project.
Data visualization and dissemination
- Create accessible, relevant data visualizations depicting research outcomes;
- In collaboration with the project team, produce and discuss report outlines;
- Include relevant literature reviews and desk research on youth mixed migration in the 7 cities involved in the project;
- Prepare communication products and analytical report(s), including:
- An overall report integrating the results from the data collected in the seven cities of the two phases of the project to inform UNFPA programming on youth migrants.
Any other duties
- Any other related duties as required by the Chief of PDB.
- Within the broad scope of work as outlined above, the consultant is expected to deliver relevant activities on timely basis, reliably and accurately throughout the consultancy period. Specific deadlines, reports/deliverables will be on need basis and communicated accordingly.
- The consultant will report to the of Technical Specialist, PDB, under the overall supervision of the Chief of PDB.
Expected Travel: None.
Compensation and Duration
- This position offers attractive remuneration package. Note that the consultant will work remotely for 60 days from 1 July to 30 September 2021.
Required Expertise and Qualifications
- Master’s degree in Demography, Statistics, Public Health, Sociology, Economics or related fields of study; a PhD is a significant advantage.
Knowledge and Experience:
- At least five years research experience in quantitative social sciences, including statistical analysis of survey data.
- Demonstrated ability to use statistical programming software such as Stata, SPSS or R is essential (please specify in your application your familiarity with such software).
- Strong writing and interpretive skills and experience producing data analysis reports, and proven ability to communicate technical information to non-specialist audiences.
- Experience working on research related to young people in vulnerable situations such as street-living, displacement or migration is an asset.
- Understanding of African cities, or urban areas of the global south, is an asset;
- Experience working with data visualization software and dashboards is an asset;
- A creative and curious mindset are crucial as well as the ability to independently find effective solutions to problems.
- Maturity and professional ability to handle sensitive information and ability to respect the confidentiality of such information while working with UNFPA.
- Fluency in English; at least intermediate proficiency in either French or Spanish.