The Position :
Under overall guidance and supervision of the UNFPA Resident Representative, and the direct supervision of the Assistant Representative, the Monitoring and Evaluation Analyst substantively contributes to the effective planning, quality assurance, reporting, and monitoring; support evidence generation and knowledge management related to UNFPA activities in the areas of population and development, reproductive health, gender, youth and humanitarian. S/he contributes to the monitoring and evaluation activities of the UNSDCF/One-UN Program. S/he analyses and assesses relevant political, social, and economic trends, monitors program and reputational risks and provides substantive inputs to project results framework formulation, quality assurance of plans and reports and programming initiatives, and other national development frameworks.
Job Purpose :
Working in a large and complex Country Office (CO) environment, you will coordinate efforts to establish a results-based culture within the CO and to build the capacity of staff, national counterparts, and UNFPA consultants in strategic planning, results-based monitoring, evaluation, and reporting, through a focused learning program.
You would be responsible for :
- Supporting the process of developing the Annual Plans of the Country Office e.g., Annual Work Plan of UNFPA Direct Execution and Implementing Partners, Annual Strategic Information System Plan, Annual,
- Communication Plan, Annual Monitoring Calendar, Annual HACT; also ensure the quality of plans and compliance with UNFPA’s policies and procedures,
- Provide technical support for the development of a result-based resource mobilization concept note/proposals,
- Support the program units in the development of the Results Framework of resource mobilization proposals and support the Country Program Evaluation planning process,
- Monitor the progress and ensure the quality of Quarterly SIS Milestones and work plan progress report and provide constructive feedback for improvement; support quality assurance activities, including the Spot,
- Check with a view to maintaining quality, effectiveness, efficiency, and accountability of Country Programme resources,
- Support the program units to produce result-based reports to donors and to conduct result-based field monitoring visits and report; track and support the implementation of the field monitoring and mission recommendations; coordinate, facilitate, review the Spot Checks reports and update the IPAS,
- Coordinate, facilitate, and contribute to the UNSDCF annual action plan and report and represent UNFPA in UN, Government, Development Partners, and UN M&E Working Group; review national documents and report and track the progress of national indicators relevant to UNFPA mandate,
- Ensure a full understanding and implementation of UNFPA M&E Guidelines by the CO staff and implementing partners; develop and review regularly the tools for monitoring and make adjustments to facilitate objective measurement of indicators included in the Country Programme,
- Ensures that the design and review of the Country Programme build on a solid situation analysis that captures key changes in the national and global environment, and contributes to the achievement of national outcomes, as outlined in the PRS, the International Conference on Population and Development (ICPD) Programme of Action and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs),
- Collaborates closely with UN counterparts to ensure the alignment, simplification, and harmonization of strategic planning, monitoring, evaluation, and reporting tools, while also building UN capacity to address population, reproductive health and rights, and gender issues in national and SDG reporting,
- Assists in the design and implementation of the joint strategy and programming activities,
- Supports national efforts to analyze, disseminate, and use population-related data from all sources, including the production of sex and age disaggregated data, and the integration of these data into national and local planning processes,
- Identifies and uses experiential knowledge, research, and evaluation findings to build a solid evidence base for UNFPA engagement in national policy dialogue,
- In collaboration with governmental, non-governmental, bilateral, and multilateral development partners identifies strengths and weaknesses in strategic planning, monitoring, and evaluation within national frameworks and approaches, and supports efforts to fill these capacity gaps,
- Support the identification, documentation, and dissemination of best practices in program management and delivery in each of the thematic areas of UNFPA’s interventions; and regularly document lessons learned on various monitoring and evaluation systems and interventions by the Country Office and government sectors.
Qualifications and Experiences :
- Advanced university degree in Social Sciences, preferably in Statistics, Development Studies, Public Health, Population Science, Demography, Economics or Public Administration.
Knowledge and Experience :
- At least 2 years of increasingly responsible professional experience in relevant areas, including the reproductive health/ population field, preferably with a gender focus,
- Recognized expertise in monitoring and evaluation,
- Practical programming and strategic planning experience,
- Proficiency in current office software applications,
- Must be fluent in English. Knowledge of other UN languages is an advantage,
- Familiarity with the UN and its policies and principles will be an advantage,
- Demonstrated ability to work harmoniously with persons of different backgrounds,
- Ability to organize work effectively and to meet planned deadlines.
- Fluency in English is required.