Purpose of Position
The M&E Officer has overall responsibility for providing coordination and leadership for monitoring and evaluation of the grant, including formative investigation (pre-intervention baseline), ongoing data collection, and summative research evaluation (post-intervention). M&E Officer would also be responsible for the evaluation that will sum up the grant’s accomplishments in accurate and objective way.
The Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Officer will also support local partners in establishing their M&E and work closely with eth Private Sector Partners as needed for reporting systems, as well as provide technical assistance to improve their understanding of project evaluation and a performance-based management approach. In addition, to monitoring and evaluation, the position will support reporting activities, including the training of staff.
- Develop the overall framework for grant M&E in accordance to the design document and donor requirements
- Identify the core information needs of grant management, partners, and funding agencies; Participate in development of the annual work plan and budget, ensuring alignment with technical strategy
- Foster participatory planning and monitoring by engaging primary stakeholder groups in the M&E of activities
- Conduct readiness assessment: the incentives at the system level, the beneficiaries and existing capacity
- Keep abreast of developments in grant/program changes and progress in order to advise and recommend tools and strategies to increase program performances and results.
- Identify the requirement for collecting baseline data, prepare terms-of-reference for and arrange the conduct of a baseline survey, as required.
- Oversee and execute M&E activities with particular focus on results and impacts as well as in lesson learnt
- Undertake regular visits to the field to support implementation of M&E and to identify where adaptations might be needed
- Clarify and/or facilitate process for monitoring and evaluations of sub-grantees
- Identify the need and draw up the ToRs for specific studies; Recruit, guide and supervise consultants or organizations that are contracted to implement special surveys and studies required for evaluating grant effects and impacts
- Perform regular field visits to ensure the quality of data collected by Programs and to verify the accuracy of reported data
- Guide staff and executing partners in preparing their progress reports in accordance with approved reporting formats and ensure their timely submission. This includes quarterly progress reports, annual project reports, inception reports, and ad-hoc technical reports.
- Prepare consolidation progress reports for grant management including identification of problems, causes of potential bottlenecks in the project implementation, and providing specific recommendations
- Identify strengths and weaknesses in existing data collection and management systems and propose solutions to improve knowledge management activities
- Draft tools and their revisions as well as data collection procedures (eg. logical framework, project performance tracking, indicators, data flow chart, M&E manuals)
Capacity Building/Continuous Learning
- Design and implement a system to identify, analyze, document and disseminate lessons learned
- Check that monitoring data are discussed in the appropriate forum and in a timely fashion in terms of implications of future action. If necessary create such discussion forums to fill any gaps.
Monitor the follow up on evaluation recommendations
- Support project/program staff on ways to properly document, organize and capture program progress
- Facilitate, act as resource person, and join, if required any external supervision and evaluation missions
- Organize (and provide) refresher training in M&E for grants staff, implementing partners, local organizations and primary stakeholders with view of strengthening local M&E capacity
- Network with external and WV internal partners to promote learning and achieve M&E excellence.
Minimum Education, Training and Abilities Requirements:
- Bachelor required, Masters preferred in Statistics, Demographics, Public Policy, International Development or a related field- with an advanced certification in M&E, Statistics or economics preferred
- Report writing, research, monitoring and evaluation skills
- Knowledge of major evaluation methodologies (quantitative, qualitative and impact)
- Familiarity with and a supportive attitude towards processes of strengthening local organizations and building local capacities for self-management
- Willingness to undertake regular field visits and interact with different stakeholders, especially primary stakeholders
- Strong leadership and management skills
- Strong mediation and conflict resolution skills
- Fluency in English and Spanish is required.
- Strong analytical skills
Experience Required Minimum Qualification for this Position.
- 5 years professional experience in a Senior M&E position
- M&E advanced certification preferred
- Experience Designing and managing gender disaggregated databases
- Knowledge of major evaluation methodologies (qualitative, quantitative, impact)
- Fluency in Spanish and English required