Established in 2009, UNOPS Ethiopia Office has been providing services to various partners, including the government of Ethiopia, UN agencies such as WHO, UNHCR and WFP, and other international organizations. Since 2014, the UNOPS Ethiopia Multi-country Office (EMCO) runs and coordinates the UNOPS activities in Ethiopia, as well as Sudan and Djibouti. The UNOPS EMCO team is composed of approximately 100 national and international women and men, and offers a broad range of services such as infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial and human resources management.
Currently, UNOPS EMCO is undertaking the EU COVID 19 Pandemic Response project for the Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD) with a base in Djibouti.
IGAD member states are among the most vulnerable to the COVID-19 pandemic. The virus appears to be spreading rapidly in the sub-region and governments have limited capacity to effectively monitor, contain and mitigate the pandemic. Various containment and mitigation measures are now in place in most countries, including complete lockdown, with the closure of borders and the reduction/suspension of international flights. These measures have however negative secondary effects not only on the movement of vulnerable populations and goods, but also on food security. Very dependent on external markets and investments, the impact of the pandemic on the sub-region economy and in particular employment is already manifesting and could be dramatic in the coming months. Disruptions to supply chains could cause food price hike and shortages, increase nutrition insecurity, halt production in key value chains.
The proposed programme design is intended to mitigate the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic in the IGAD sub-region, responding to the call for international support made by IGAD Heads of States, Health and Finance Ministers.
UNOPS seeks an experienced professional to develop/implement the monitoring, evaluation and reporting (ME&R) systems for Ethiopia Multi-country Office (EMCO) projects, and more specifically EU COVID 19 Response for IGAD.
- Under the guidance and supervision of the Project Manager and in close collaboration with the donors, the Monitoring, Evaluation (M&E) Specialist will perform the following functions:
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Design, develop and roll out a M&E strategy for the projects in close consultation with the implementing partners, and in accordance with donors and UNOPS guidelines;
- Formulate a results and logical framework for the Programme in consultation with donors and relevant partners
- Develop and maintain a system that collates information on all projects that need to feed into the results and M&E frameworks
- Conducting qualitative and/or quantitative data analysis.
- Provide oversight and support on M&E and performance issues to implementing partners collaborating with UNOPS
- Undertake site visits for Monitoring and Evaluation in accordance with the M&E plan
- Ensure that implementing partners fulfill their M&E obligations, including enabling the participation of beneficiaries, and that recording and reporting systems are harmonized both among implementing partners and with national systems where possible;
- Agree the reporting cycle and reporting requirements with donors and each implementing partner;
- Develop standard monitoring, evaluation and reporting formats for projects based on the logical framework and reporting requirements;
- Support the preparation of quarterly, semi-annual and annual progress reports to the donors and other partners.
- Support the Mid Term Review, End Project Reviews and Annual Reviews and related reporting requirements; and
- Together with the MIS specialist lead the development of a comprehensive MIS platform that will incorporate all the reporting requirements of implementing partners.
- Collaborate with the UNOPS Comms team in the elaboration of projects Communication and Visibility strategy and implementation plan that is in line with donors and UNOPS guidelines;
- Ensure that all communication material, press and digital, include verified data prior to publication.
- Provide technical guidance for the implementation of the M&E plan, through training and other on-site support;
- Develop process for knowledge management within the projects including recording of lessons learnt and standard methodologies;
- Establish mechanisms to use projects knowledge and experience, including feeding into:
- donors own programming;
- programming by other donors in the sector, and
- policy dialogue with government
- Based on the monitoring and evaluation data, support the project in developing performance improvement plans; and
- Build capacities of implementing partners in M&E through workshops based as needed.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned by the Project Manager to support the implementation and oversight of the projects.