VillageReach is an NGO that develops solutions to critical health system challenges in low-resource environments, with an emphasis on strengthening the “last mile” of healthcare delivery. VillageReach combines expertise across public health, technology, and business to bring life-saving innovation – new systems, programs and technologies – to scale and sustainability in the world’s most underserved communities. VillageReach is headquartered in Seattle, WA with offices located in the Malawi, Mozambique and the Democratic Republic of Congo.
VillageReach is searching for a qualified and energetic individual to fill the position of Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist, Supply Chain Programs. Based in Lilongwe, the Monitoring and Evaluation Officer will work closely with the Senior Monitoring and Evaluation Advisor and Program Leads in coordinating monitoring and evaluation (M&E) efforts of key projects implemented by VillageReach in Malawi. This position will primarily support the USAID-funded Pharmacy Assistant (PA) training program and ONSE Health Activity, as well as a new mobile app project for vaccine cold chain and a “drones for health” or Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV) project. Other projects may be assigned from time to time.
The Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist, Supply Chain Programs will be responsible for the design and implementation of M&E systems, including data collection, analysis and reporting, primarily for two USAID-funded public health programs in Malawi:
- The Pharmacy Assistant Training Program: The Pharmacy Assistant Training Program was created in partnership with the Malawi Ministry of Health (MOH) Pharmaceutical Services Division, the Malawi College of Health Sciences (MCHS), and the University of Washington Global Medicines Program (UW). This program is focused on improving medicines management throughout Malawi by training and deploying facility-based pharmacy assistants, providing supply chain capacity building, and improving data management and the reporting of logistics data across the country. The program includes hands on learning at District hospital pharmacies in the first year and at Health centers in the second year. The program started in 2013 and has graduated almost 200 Pharmacy Assistant students to date, with two additional cohorts currently ongoing. USAID provides funding to VillageReach for this project through the Global Health Supply Chain – Procurement and Supply Management (GHSC-PSM) project. In 2018, VillageReach will conduct a Pharmacy Assistant impact assessment for PAs who graduated from the training program.
- The ONSE Health Activity: The Organized Network of Services for Everyone’s Health (ONSE) Activity also funded by USAID and is focused on reducing maternal, newborn, and child morbidity and mortality. VillageReach leads supply chain work in 16 districts (400+ health facilities) from the District level to Health centers and village clinics. Under ONSE, a Pharmacy Assistant mentorship program has been established, with Pharmacy Assistants who graduated from MCHS serving as mentors to other health centers that do not yet have trained pharmacy personnel.
- Additionally, through other programs, VillageReach and its partners work on many aspects of the supply chain, including the logistic management information systems at multiple levels. Two additional short-term projects are currently ongoing.
- Vaccine cold chain mobile app project: VillageReach has received funding from Bull City Learning for a pilot project to help improve the performance of Cold Chain Technicians in the Central Region of Malawi. Under this project, VillageReach is employing user-centered design principles to develop and deploy an easy-to-use, interactive mobile application (app) to be used on tablets that the technicians can carry with them to health centers to guide them in performing routine maintenance and in diagnosing and repairing refrigerator malfunctions.
- Drones for health or UAV projects – VillageReach is involved in the testing of humanitarian drones for transporting various health commodities. This M&E role may be involved in such a project if the opportunity arises.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following.
- Design robust M&E strategies/plans, including development of indicators for projects, in collaboration with project partners and Senior Monitoring and Evaluation Advisor;
- Take charge of the implementation of the project M&E plans, including regular monitoring of indicators, creating data collection tools and procedures, database design and management, and data analysis;
- Assist program teams in understanding M&E results and using data to inform continuous program improvement;
- Participate and assist in the training and capacity building of project staff, government pharmacy assistants, and others in the areas of data collection and data quality as needed;
- Work with various stakeholders to identify existing data sources and data collection activities and to gather data from identified sources.
- Document and disseminate best practices and lessons learned on a regular basis.
Communication, Public Relations, and Program Development
- Create reports and graphs/charts of quantitative results that can be shared with external audiences, sharing lessons learned and supporting advocacy efforts with the global health community.
- Support M&E design for related proposals that may emerge;
- Participate in key external meetings as a representative of VillageReach as needed.
Routine Monitoring & Data Management
- Design appropriate data collection methodologies and instruments based on project M&E plans;
- Collect monthly data and ad-hoc data for various related projects and assessments on electronic tablets and on paper forms; take responsibility in ensuring the quality of the data collected;
- Ensure that data is entered into the project databases and routinely cleaned;
- Develop and manage the databases for the projects;
- Analyze data after data cleaning, and produce regular reports/dashboards, as well as progress reports and presentations required less frequently (on a quarterly, semi-annual or annual basis);
- Undertake field visits to monitor activities for supply chain programs in health facilities.
- Review and analyze logistics management information system (LMIS) data from OpenLMIS.
Project Evaluations and Assessments
- Assist in the development, implementation and results dissemination of additional research studies, assessments and program evaluations related to the programs in collaboration with partners and academic institutions;
- Assist in writing publications of results; this could be in the form of reports, journal articles, abstracts, presentations, website blogs, etc.
- Train staff on data collection, data management, data analysis and result-oriented programming, basic surveying and sampling techniques, M&E methods and impact assessment.
- Any other responsibilities that may be assigned to you from time to time by the Senior Monitoring and Evaluation Advisor. Please note that duties, responsibilities, and priorities may change at any time, so it is important to maintain flexibility and an open mind.
The following competencies reflect both what is expected of all VillageReach employees and of an individual in this specific role.
- Interpersonal Skills: Conduct oneself with sensitivity, awareness and respect when working with diverse groups of people, including VillageReach staff, beneficiaries, donors and partners.
- Dependability: Act at all times as a reliable and effective team player, volunteering to help without being asked.
- Initiative and Results: Proactively enhance the quality of programs, outputs, workplace environment and relationships.
- Representation: Represent VillageReach and its programs by demonstrating a personal commitment to the mission and values of VillageReach and a sound knowledge of the organization, its principles and its programs.
- Leadership and Social Entrepreneurship: Demonstrate leadership by being a positive example to others, a positive force programmatically and organizationally; foster a culture of innovation.
- Commitment to Learning and Growth: Demonstrate commitment to develop, acquire, document and apply best practices in related fields, and apply solutions to obstacles to organizational effectiveness.
- Consistency: Demonstrate consistent and productive attendance and work record.
- Compliance: Follow VillageReach policies and procedures.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Supervisory Responsibilities: This position has no supervisory responsibilities, however it will require close collaboration with several different project teams and Program Leads, and the possibility in the future of supervising graduate interns.
Education & Experience:
- Master’s degree candidate or graduate in Mathematics, Statistics, Public Health, Development Studies, or another relevant field;
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant M&E work experience related to public health programs in sub-Saharan Africa and Malawi; experience with health supply chain programs strongly preferred;
- A working understanding of effective approaches to monitor and evaluate health programs including: methodology and data collection tools development, ability to find and gather data from a variety of sources, and training and capacity building to improve data collection and quality;
- Strong background in quantitative and qualitative research studies, especially impact evaluations (as demonstrated by significant participation in study design, data collection, analysis, and generation of reports) and translating research into policy and practice;
- Strong quantitative skills and demonstrated experience in data management and analysis;
- Ability to develop and carry out Theories of Change, M&E plans, and to solve problems independently;
- Strong computer skills including MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Access, Outlook; statistical packages (STATA or SPSS); web-based data collection, ArcGIS, etc.
- Strong organizational and planning skills, and superior attention to detail;
- Excellent writing skills, particularly aimed at technical report writing;
- Experience working in team settings, preferably as part of an international organization;
- Experience working closely with government ministries on complex projects preferred;
- Fluency in English and Chichewa is required.
- Demonstrated understanding of public health challenges in rural, underserved and low-income communities, particularly in Malawi;
- This position is only open to Malawi citizens.
Environment and Physical Demands
The Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist will work in a shared office with meeting rooms accessible for privacy and meetings. Travel is expected to health facilities throughout the country for approximately 30% of the time.
The position will be based in Lilongwe, Malawi, and will report directly to the Senior Monitoring and Evaluation Advisor but will work closely with the Program Leads for the Pharmacy Assistant training program, ONSE Health Activity, Cold chain grant and Drones for Health. Salary is commensurate with qualification and experience.
This position is open as of late August/early September 2018 and resumes will be reviewed on a rolling basis. To apply, please submit your resume and a cover letter to our online portal: https://villagereach-international-postings.workable.com/j/0A64639AEA. Technical report writing samples, quantitative data analysis samples, and references will be requested at a later stage from selected candidates, before or after in-person interviews in Lilongwe with a VillageReach panel.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY & INCLUSION:
VillageReach is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer committed to workforce diversity. We believe that diverse, equitably weighted perspectives foster an organizational capacity to create novel solutions that improve health in the most underserved and hard-to-reach areas. To align our values, innovations and impact, VillageReach is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse global workforce.