UNOPS commenced operations in Pakistan in 1999 and significantly up-scaled activities from 2005 onwards to support populations affected by and vulnerable to earthquakes. In 2010, UNOPS opened a permanent office in Islamabad to support the Government of Pakistan and other partners to undertake humanitarian and reconstruction services, following the most devastating flood in the nation’s history.
UNOPS Pakistan has been implementing projects in the areas of early recovery and reconstruction of community infrastructure, project management and related monitoring and verification, community development, fund management, and procurement. Supported strategically by a regional operational hub and UNOPS headquarters in Copenhagen and within the overarching framework of the ONE UN Programme, UNOPS Pakistan continues to deliver projects across the country under its core delivery practices of sustainable infrastructure, sustainable procurement, and sustainable project management.
UNOPS is based in Islamabad and has a provincial office in Peshawar. In addition, UNOPS is administrating Global Environment Facility (GEF) small grants on behalf of UNDP to support community led projects in Baluchistan. Similarly, UNOPS is also acting as the Local Fund Agent of the Global Fund. In Pakistan, UNOPS monitors a grant portfolio of $600,000,000 by undertaking regular and mandatory field visits across the country including FATA to provide independent monitoring of the activities carried out by the grantees of the Global Fund.
Purpose and Scope of Assignment
Under the overall supervision of Project Manager, the Monitoring & Communications Associate will be responsible for timely collection and quality of data, results, achievements against indicators & reports. S/he is expected to support PM in submission of internal reports and reports to donors, client, liaise with third party monitoring teams and donors monitoring team.
- Ensure effective and robust in project monitoring, coordination and reporting activities
- Develop monitoring & evaluation system to improve data collection, synthesis and analysis
- Carry out regular visits to the field to assess program performance in line with the budgets, work plans and facilitate in order to ensure cost effectiveness and efficiency in the implementation of the projects.
- Identify gaps and lessons learned for timely and informed decision making of the senior management.
- Support the development of an information management database system (e.g. Excel spreadsheets, mini-databases for capturing information from monitoring tools;
- Support M&E capacity development processes including identifying capacity-building needs and providing training and other capacity building activities to staff as necessary.
- Provide assistance in project baseline/ validation surveys, project board meetings, end of project reviews and impact assessments and other relevant
- Support the development of an information management database system for capturing information from monitoring tools;
- Assist in updating M & E plans and timely submission to donor.
- Assist in coordination with key stakeholders including provincial and district level government counterparts for adaptation of monitoring framework and reporting mechanism
- Utilize different M&E instruments and various institutional arrangements to guarantee timely delivery of studies and reports
- Development and implementation of a communications strategy, communication material including liaising with partners, optimizing content and graphics for printing.
- Ensure compliance of communications activities according to UNOPS rules, regulations, policies and strategies.
- Ensures efficient communication content management, focusing on achievement of the of the results
- Identifying, in collaboration with Communications Unit colleagues, suitable information to appear on the UNOPS corporate website or intranet, as well as gaps in existing content
- Researching, writing, editing and publishing online content that is clear, concise, vivid, and effectively conveys key messages to target audiences
- Appropriate graphics/images for inclusion with written content
- Suggestions and implementation of new elements such as audio-visual elements, text elements in a highly creative style
- Ensures knowledge building and knowledge sharing, focusing on achievement of the results
- Use of technology and electronic systems and tools to initiate work, share information with colleagues and clients.
- Training of new temporary personnel on office methods systems and procedures.
Education: Secondary Education is required. Bachelor’s or Master's Degree in Social Science, development studies, communication or any relevant field is a definite advantage may be accepted in lieu.
- Six (6) years of progressively relevant working experience in data collection, statistical analysis and communication. A Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant field with 2 additional years of relevant professional experience (or a Master's degree) may be accepted in lieu of the education requirements outlined above.
- Previous experience setting up monitoring and evaluation systems to track the performance of an organization and gather factual evidence to facilitate senior management decision-making.
- Experience in consultation and research
- Excellent English communication skills and knowledge is preferred.
- Fluency in Pashtu is desirable.