Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning Manager
Danish Refugee Council , Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Closing Date for Applications:
OVERALL PURPOSE OF THE ROLE:
As a member of the Programme Management Unit (PMU), the MEAL Manager is responsible for the overall design and implementation of the programme’s MEAL system. The role contributes to regular review and revision of the programme strategy, which is translated by the MEAL Manager into a comprehensive MEAL system, MEAL tools plans and strategies. The MEAL Manager collaborates closely with programme partners, as well as members of the PMU to ensure rigorous and thoughtful monitoring of programme implementation.
Management and Technical Guidance:
- Overall responsibility for the management of the Programme’s MEAL team, ensuring positive and collaborative working relationships between the MEAL and implementing teams.
- In collaboration with programme partner, lead the development of the Programme’s MEAL strategy, system and tools and oversee effective, efficient and timely implementation of the Programme’s MEAL plans.
- Collaborate with the PMU’s Technical Programme Manager to develop and ensure the Programmes MEAL system and tools reflect sector specific needs and best practices, and are technically robust.
- Collaborate with the Technical Programme Manager, Technical Specialist Leads and field teams to undertake assessments and data collection to inform programme design as well as to identify risks and vulnerabilities, including those related to gender, age and diversity.
- Analyse data and generate reports and recommendations.
- Lead the PMU’s MEAL team to undertake regular monitoring visits.
- Assure quality of data collection and data entry processes.
- Manage all Program MEAL databases and systems to oversee measurement of achievement and progress toward programme goals and results.
- Ensure the Programme is able to articulate and document relevant best practices and assess performance regularly against agreed programme objectives and indicators.
- Contribute to the strategic direction of the DFID programme through active and ongoing participation in and contribution to strategic planning meetings and development of strategic documents at both the PMU and field levels through sharing ongoing MEAL analysis and recommendations.
- Collaborate with other members of the PMU to ensure effective coordination and visibility of the implementation of the Programme.
Finance and Administration:
- Collaborate regularly with the PMU’s Support Services Manager and finance team to monitor spending of the Programmes MEAL budget.
- Ensure respectful and positive working relationships within the MEAL team which allow for the effective implementation of all MEAL activities. This is to be achieved through leadership, team building, day-to-day support and capacity-building.
- Promote professional development of the MEAL team by identifying training and capacity building opportunities and ensure MEAL staff are well versed in core protection concepts, DRC's code of conduct, accountability, respectful dialogue with the refugee population, and prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse.
- Collaborate with the PMU’s human resources team to ensure MEAL staff evaluations are conducted on a regular basis.
Experience and Technical Competencies: (include years of experience)
- Minimum 5 years, preferably 8-10 years, of experience, in in monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning of projects in humanitarian and/or development settings.
- Experience overseeing the implementation of a MEAL system for a commercial programme, with experiencing implementing a DFID commercial programme a notable advantage.
- Must have experience effectively coordinating MEAL activities with partner agencies.
- Demonstrated skills in program design, monitoring, evaluation accountability, learning and report analysis and writing.
- Demonstrated skills in data management and developing tools and systems for monitoring and evaluation services
- Demonstrated ability to work with supervisors and other senior officials, particularly in international settings.
- Strong analytical skills including analysis of both quantitative and qualitative data.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Excellent Information Technology skills.
- Proficiency in common computer packages - i.e. Word, Excel, SPSS, Power point etc.
- University degree in social sciences, development planning, evaluation, survey implementation, statistical research and /or project management
- Excellent written and oral presentation skills (in English and Amharic)
- Excellent proficiency in English is essential