OVERALL PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The M&E Database Officer will work within the Country MEAL Unit as part of a team to design, operationalize and improve the Country and Program MEAL systems, which heavily rely on a well-managed comprehensive database and other supporting technologies. The M&E Database Officer is responsible for supporting DRC staff and local partners to regularly collect, enter, verify, store and analyze data for decision making, CARM and learning. He / She will also be required to make timely database adjustments to measure the impact of DRC’ programs. The M&E Database Officer will directly work with the MEAL Specialist who is the point of contact for all DRC field staff regarding M&E support needs and operational issues. The M&E Database Officer will also closely coordinate with the Country MEAL Manager and MEAL Officers to help ensure monitoring and evaluation data is accurately incorporated into all reports and information products.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
M&E System Database Management and Innovation
- Understand, maintain and innovate a M&E system database (MIS) that improves DRC’ ability to inform program implementation, analyze data, and represent impact to donors, government, colleague agencies, and communities themselves.
- Ensure all relevant program staff are able to utilize the database to analyze program information and results
- Design, adapt and maintain the MIS in conjunction with the MEAL Specialist and MEAL Manager to match strategic program or implementation change
- Provide training in use of database, pivot tables and pivot charts to staff members that require it, or support on exporting to MS Excel for data analysis
- Ensure the database is live and accessible to field offices
- Review data being entered in the database regularly in order to locate and fix problems with data entry or integrity
- Document system database contents, protocols and update manuals for smooth functioning
- Design and maintain CARM databases at the Country and Program levels
Implement M&E System and Tools
- Work as part of a team to facilitate and support M&E operations including baseline, annual, and endline surveys, regular monitoring, data collection and analysis, feedback and reporting according to the MEL workplan.
- Generate data (tables/graphs/reports) from the database at regular intervals, ensuring reports/information are available for program implementation staff when required. Facilitate data analysis with program implementation team as requested
- Conduct regular field visits to ensure all elements of the M&E system and database are being utilized effectively by all stakeholders, assessing and identifying breakdowns and areas that require clarifications and improvements
- Ensure field teams always have the most recent version of all M&E tools and documents.
- Lead the design and management of Beneficiary Tracking system for all programs using ONA and/or COMMCARE
- Lead the setting up and management of Indicator Tracking for all programs using TOLA
- Lead the adoption and use of Advanced Excel and Tableau for data analytics and visualization
Staff Training and Capacity Building
- Work closely with MEAL Officers and MEAL Specialists to develop and deliver staff/partner trainings, improving capacities in monitoring and evaluation and database management: data collection, entry, verification and analysis; and other identified needs
- Follow up on trainings by mentoring staff/partners to develop identified technical skills one-on-one
Link M&E Results to Reporting
- Review or edit data in reports as requested and required
- Produce analytical summaries: graphs, charts, and tables as requested to fulfil reporting requirements
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to DRC and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission
- Other duties as assigned and agreed upon
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit DRC as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
- DRC team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically
- to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRC’s core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Experience and Technical Competencies:
- University Degree in Computer Science, IT, Information Management or Database Management System or other technical computing equivalents from a recognized institution required
- 2-4 years’ experience designing and managing Excel and MS Access databases for development organizations (UN, INGOs etc.) highly desired
- Key certifications in database management and/or programming (MySQL, VBA etc.) are an added advantage
- Experience in field survey/data collection techniques, data entry, data verification, and analysis beneficial
- Experience working with data collection, analysis and visualization technologies such as Ona, Kobo, COMMCARE, Tableau etc. will be an added advantage
- Demonstrated skills in training, capacity building, and mentoring are desired
- Good basic math and analytical skills as well as a general knowledge of statistical or monitoring and evaluation principles.