We are looking for a highly qualified, self-motivated Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) Manager who is able to work with diverse teams of both national and international staff as well as local government authorities, UN agencies, I/NGOs and other partners under difficult, stressful and sometimes insecure conditions.
Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is operational in South Sudan since 2005, working with the overall aim of achieving durable solutions for displaced populations. The Danish Demining Group (DDG) started Humanitarian Mine Action in 2006.
Danish Refugee Council main programme objectives (2019-2021) in South Sudan are:
- To save lives and alleviate suffering among displaced people and their hosts
- To reduce displacement related risks and support and facilitate solutions
- To promote peaceful, inclusive and resilient societies and address root causes to displacement
DRC primarily operates across Upper Nile and Unity states, both of which are heavily affected by conflict and experience high numbers of internally displaced populations as well as refugees in need of humanitarian assistance. DRC has operational bases in Maban, Malakal, Kodok and Aburoc in Upper Nile and in Bentiu, Mayom, Kodok and Ajuong Thok in Unity state, supported by a country-office in Juba.
DRC recently developed important multi-sectorial mobile response teams based in Juba able to rapidly respond to new and urgent humanitarian situations countrywide at short notice to conduct assessments and responses
Purpose of the post: The MEAL Manager position is responsible for managing and advising on all aspects of Monitoring and Evaluation implementation
Monitoring and Evaluation
The MEAL Manager position is responsible for advising on all aspects of Monitoring and Evaluation implementation, which includes:
- Designing and implementation of Projects/Country M&E Plan and comprehensive toolkit that can be applied to all relevant projects with minimal adjustments.
- Oversee and improve the indicator performance tracking system in order to ensure the projects are on track, present the analysis of overall progress and performance of all projects to Senior Management Team/Extended Senior Management Team (SMT/ESMT) and follow up on action points with Area Managers and technical coordinators.
- Implementation of DRC’s global evaluation policy, leading external evaluation as well as conducting internal evaluation of projects as per MELMOP Criteria (DRC/DDG global internal M&E system), documentation of lessons learnt and management responses and ensuring that the recommendations are reflected in ongoing and new projects design.
- Provide technical support in design of qualitative and quantitative tools, collection of data in field locations including internal projects evaluation, post distribution monitoring, post relocation assessment/survey, data analysis and relevant information management systems in a timely manner.
- Generate high quality, evidence-based evaluation reports, assessment reports and lesson learning notes and technical review of the donor reports to reflect M&E/CHS findings.
- Support in proposal writing through M&E strategy/M&E Plans for the projects and in particular drafting of the Log frames.
- Represent DRC M&E at relevant donor and inter-agency meetings.
- Periodic review of the Feedback and Complaints and Response Mechanism (F-CRM) to improve the design in light of the current contexts/incidents
- Design and rollout Beneficiary Complaint Mechanism (BCM) in selected places on pilot basis and secure the resources through different projects to replicate the BCM in all DRC South Sudan field bases.
- Develop and coordinate the DRC South Sudan’s Humanitarian Accountability Framework and all related Core Humanitarian Standards (CHS) implementation with relevant departments/sectors to ensure that all CHS Compliance outputs and procedures are in harmony with DRCs programs and with DRC/DDG as a broader organization.
In light of the above responsibilities under Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability & Learning the position has the following responsibilities in order to ensure the quality of both programs and operations.
- Design DRC-DDG South Sudan Quality Policy including Objectives and assist department heads (HoP-Program, HoSS, HR/Administration Manager and Country Safety Coordinator) to design Standard Operating Procedure documents and rollout plan.
- Conduct the compliance check in every field location (including Juba) based on SOPs and performance indicators. Prepare the field report along with suggestion for improvement.
- Maintain and improve the Indicator performance tracking system and coordinate with Area Managers, technical coordinators and other relevant departments in order to ensure that all projects are on track.
- Support in the process of Result Contract (RC) and coordinate with relevant management staff for the updates of the RC objective indicators and present the progress of RC on quarterly basis.
- Consolidate and support documentation of lessons learned, ensure that its included in all new project development and annual planning processes
- Ensure Gender Age and Diversity indicators are included in all projects and programs and ensure disaggregated analysis of indicators in all projects, programs and research products
- Oversight of quality, methodology etc. in all country led research in conjunction with DRC technical advisers
- Develop Information management systems in the country office
- Lead and support the development of MEAL databases
- Lead in development of MEAL visual/ infographics reports
Human Resources Management
- Direct line management of MEAL team in Juba
- Ensure staff performance plans and evaluations are conducted on a regular basis
- Provide technical support to field-based MEAL staff with a view to ensure coherence in data collection and analysis to support programme development and quality
- Capacity building, recruitment and providing technical guidance and mentorship to MEAL/ Information Management staff in field locations.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate each of DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results through the Regional team both to position DRC and ensure excellence in all deliverable.
- Collaborating: You lead regional initiatives and processes by involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen to other stakeholders and staff; and you communicate concisely and persuasively.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.
Moreover, we also expect the following:
- Experience and technical competencies
- A university degree in statistics, research methods, data science, development economics or a similar field
- A qualification in Monitoring and Evaluation will be an added advantage.
- At least 5 years work experience in in the MEAL sector.
- Knowledge of main donors’ requirements (EU, ECHO, UN, USAID, SDC, etc.) and experience with services contracts would be an asset
- Experience in writing good MEAL reports.
- Experience in writing and editing proposals
- Proven experience in any field related to DRC intervention in East Africa: Protection, Livelihood, etc.
- Practical knowledge of IT tools and analytical software (Excel, Word, Outlook, SPSS, etc.)
- Mandatory mastery of English (Written and Spoken)
- Ability to manage a team
- Ability to work in a post-conflict area
- Ability to work under pressure
- Good ability to adapt and organize
- Leadership and proven managerial skills
- Ability to manage several deadlines at the same time
- Team spirit, demonstrate high levels of integrity and strong work ethics