Thinking of a Career in Emergency Management?
- BY Nicole Pelette
Main Tasks & Responsibilities
A. Strategic Results Support
• Contribute to the development of regional substantive/technical methodology and tools for monitoring and evaluation, in concert with HQ development of monitoring and evaluation policies, standards, and guidance as well as oversight compliance of same;
• Provide support for monitoring and evaluation of the regional and country programmes in the region, in collaboration with the Country Offices (CO), the Sub-regional Offices (SROs), the Evaluation Office (EO), the Programme and Technical Divisions (PD, TD);
• Advise on monitoring and evaluation components of the Office Management Plans (OMPs) of the Regional Office;
• Provide technical support to the RO, SROs and COs, to ensure the adequacy of both the hierarchy of results of country and regional programmes, and their use of performance and impact measurement methods and indicators;
• Contribute to the development of frameworks, methodologies and databases for ICPD and MDG monitoring;
• Contribute to the formulation of the Regional Programme, drawing upon the analysis and evaluation of interventions in the sub-regions, and lessons from country programmes;
• Support the development and utilization of programme indicators and indicator databases;
• Work in collaboration with RO advisers and regional programme adviser in the formulation and implementation of oversight plan of regional programme funded initiatives;
• Ensure results-based monitoring and evaluation plan developed, implemented, and results acted upon within the COs, SROs and RO; and
• Ensure the use of results-based indicators and facilitate and support data collection and analysis for evaluation.
B. Capacity Development
• Identify innovative evaluation methodologies and promote their incorporation into UNFPA operations;
• Contribute to the development and adaptation of tools and guidance as well as training materials and manuals in monitoring and evaluation and support their use for capacity development of partner institutions and UNFPA staff in the region;
• Contribute to monitoring and analysis of reports on humanitarian, economic, political and social factors in development and management of population and development programmes;
• Contribute to identify and validate regional monitoring and evaluation experts and institutions for the Fund’s regional and international rosters;
• Help build capacity of SROs and COs in the adoption and use of RBM techniques and tools;
• Provide support to country office staff and consultants in organization of evaluations;
• Coach junior professional staff and associates, direct expert consultants and facilitate working groups and task teams in order to provide support to programme managers, implementers on monitoring and evaluation.
C. Evidence and knowledge development and dissemination
• Contribute to the analysis, synthesis and dissemination of state-of-the-art knowledge and new approaches to monitoring and evaluation practice, in particular best practices, and make recommendations for their adoption at regional and sub-regional levels;
• Substantively contribute to the identification, documentation and dissemination of best practices / lessons learned;
• Support the office of the Director in ensuring the incorporation of evaluation results and lessons learned in the updating of specific substantive strategies, policies, tools and approaches, and ensure their availability in the organizational system for lessons learned;
• Monitor, analyze, evaluate and synthesize results of regional and country programme interventions in the regional and sub-regional levels;
• Monitor, analyze and evaluate national evaluation reports, synthesize evaluation findings and identify and disseminate lessons learned in monitoring and evaluation to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of the work of the Office and of the region; to draw attention to sub-regional realities, and to inform regional and global strategies, policies, procedures and tools;
• Contribute to HQ initiatives on results-based programme management by ensuring integration of lessons learned from evaluation;
• Co-ordinate with other UN regional evaluation units and professional evaluation bodies for thematic evaluations and other evaluation activities; and
• Keep abreast of developments in the area of evaluation.
D. Quality assurance on evaluation
• Advise on the validity of the monitoring and evaluation of regional strategies and approaches;
• Develop and support a substantive quality assurance framework for the work of the Regional Office and assist/advise country offices in implementation of such framework;
• Ensure that evaluations meet high professional standards in line with UNFPA Evaluation Policy and UN Evaluation Norms & Standards;
• Support and nurture an evaluation culture within the Regional Office and the region and design;
• Advise on and support monitoring and evaluation processes and quality assessments in all areas of work under the Division’s responsibility;
• Analyze and assess how findings of reviews, assessments and other studies related to UNFPA’s areas of work are analyzed, disseminated and taken into account in ongoing strategic planning and programme development;
• Ensure the RO’s participation in multi-agency/donor and inter-governmental evaluations of complex programmes and cross-cutting themes; and
• Carries out any other duties as may be required by the Regional Director.
Qualifications and Experience
• Advanced University Degree in public health, social science, demography, gender, economics, international relations, international development, public administration, management or other related field. The graduate or post graduate degree should preferably include credits in the principles and practice of monitoring and evaluation.
• 10 years of increasingly responsible professional experience, of which 5 years at the international level, 5 years in health and/or social sciences evaluation; including periodic updating of technical skills
• Recognized expertise in monitoring and evaluation;
• Strong track record of innovative leadership in managing different types of evaluations, and proven ability to produce demonstrable results;
• Programmatic experience, including programme development, planning, monitoring and reporting;
• Extensive network within the academic and development community is an asset;
• Field experience is a strong asset.
• Fluency in English language is required; working knowledge of Arabic and/or French is an asset.