Purpose of the Role:
TREE AID is committed to technical excellence and continually improving programme quality across the organisation.
The purpose of this role is to improve monitoring and evaluation (M&E) processes and quality of data collection, analysis and reporting across the whole organisation. This post will work with programme implementing teams across all TREE AID country programmes to build a body of evidence that is focused on results and demonstrates impact, good practice and value for money.
Areas of Responsibility:
Monitoring and Evaluation (60%)
- Lead improvement of monitoring and evaluation processes across the organisation. In particular the advisor will:
- Support country M&E and programme staff to apply TREE AID systems and processes to monitor and report against key outcomes
- Support country teams to gather and analyse baseline, mid-line and end-line survey data
- Support country teams in the development of project monitoring plan (PMP) in line with project design in consultation with TREE aid and partner teams
- Develop data collection tools and templates, and enhance the capacity of country teams to actively monitor programmes progress
- Lead on TREE AID Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) reporting, ensuring results frameworks are updated quarterly, identifying areas of concern early and flagging them with management for action.
- Lead on the design of all project and programme reviews and evaluations – including ensuring the quality of the final product and lessons learned are captured
- Support procurement processes for evaluation services and ensure that all consultant contracts issued are consistent with TREE AID’s procurement policies.
- Conduct regular monitoring to project interventions to ensure the quality of monitoring and ability of the project team to generate expected results.
Programme Development (15%)
- Support development of all new programme designs and proposals across the organisation. In particular the advisor will:
- Support development of all new programme designs and proposals in conjunction with country teams and the UK Operations team, particularly in relation to the programme Theory of Change, Logical framework and M&E requirements.
- Ensuring all new programme designs and proposals are in line with organisational results framework.
- Support and advise teams on appropriate beneficiaries targeting methodologies
Programme Quality and Learning (25%)
- Input into design of research, learning and innovation initiatives across the organisation. In particular the advisor will:
- Work closely with the Operations team to ensure that lessons learned from evaluations are documented properly and can inform programme development.
- Ensure quality of information against indicators in TREE AID’s monitoring information systems is of a high standard and accessible
- Ensure TREE AID is compliant with International Aid Transparency Initiative (IATI) standards
- Participate in and represent TREE AID in relevant sector forums
- Design training materials and communication materials related to M&E and learning
- Collect and/or assist to collect case studies, and lessons learned;
- Assist with the compilation of donor reports and internal management reports.
Other: Any other duties as directed by the Director of Operations or CEO.
- A passion for, and commitment to, international development and to issues affecting rural smallholder farmers in dryland Africa. (E)
- A global outlook with cultural sensitivity that takes into account ethnic, religious, language and geopolitical differences in all areas of TREE AID’s work. (E)
- A problem-solving, proactive and positive approach to work (E)
- Commitment to working with a value-based organisation. (E)
- At least five years’ experience working in overseas development in a project/programme role with extensive monitoring, review and evaluation experience. (E)
- Experience of developing and implementing monitoring and evaluation systems, M&E methods and approaches and data/ information analysis. (E)
- Background in remote support for developing country offices and staff (E)
- Familiarity with and a supportive attitude towards processes of strengthening local organisations and building local capacities for self-management (D)
- Very good working knowledge and experience of programme cycle management, the logical framework approach and other strategic planning approaches (E)
- Experience in report writing (for funding agencies and publications) (D)
- Experience of working on rural development programmes in Africa (D).
Qualifications: A Masters in agriculture, rural development, social or development studies, or a related discipline. (E)
- Strong research, evaluation and analytical skills. (E)
- In-depth understanding of monitoring and evaluating rural development programmes. (E)
- Excellent written and spoken English (E)
- Working knowledge in French (part of the interview process will be conducted in French) (E)
- Experience of quantitative and qualitative data collection and analysis (E).
- Practical statistical skills including knowledge of Microsoft applications and other statistics packages (E)
- Good interpersonal, communications, and facilitation skills and the ability to work in a multi-cultural team (E)
- Self-motivated with good organisation, planning and management skills (E).
- Ability to work under pressure (E).