The MEL Assistant will join the MEL team within Mercy Corps’ Program Performance and Quality (“PAQ”) Department. They will support the MEL team with coordination and consolidation of several large scale initiatives that will require tasks such as contacting country offices to follow up on data submissions, conduct various data management tasks including, data processing, data cleaning, building staff capacity on using technology for effective M&E and Learning.
The MEL Assistant will be involved with projects of strategic significance to Mercy Corps’ MEL work, and the data derived from these projects will feed into our high level reports, decision making processes and publications.
The MEL Assistant will be based in a highly functional professional team, and will have an opportunity to learn not only data management, but also will closely get acquainted and gain hands on experience with the science behind implementation and program learning. They will have consistent interaction with field teams and will increase the understanding of collecting and analysing data in humanitarian and developmental contexts. They will work across various disciplines, regions and teams, and obtain knowledge on systems and operations within a large multi-disciplinary organization, such as Mercy Corps.
Essential Job Responsibilities
ANNUAL PARTICIPANT COUNT
- Help to consolidate Mercy Corps’ annual participant count process that collects information from nearly 300 programs
- Collect and analyse data from all country programs as part of the annual participant count process;
- Liaise with field teams as part of the quality assurance process of the count;
- Interacting with team members on challenges, requests for clarification and audit of data submitted by field teams;
- Produce a final data quality assurance report of the participant count initiative;
- Support in automating the data cleaning and analysis of the participant count process.
POST DISTRIBUTION MONITORING
- Help to design and curate Post-Distribution Monitoring (PDM) analysis and reporting outputs, evaluation results, and harmonizing data collection tools
- Review, edit, and develop PDM data analysis and reporting outputs based on user feedback, interests, and MEL indicator requirements
- Collate and develop harmonized Post-Distribution Monitoring data collection modules
- Assist with conducting and analysing evaluation interviews
- Support country and various program teams to ensure uptake of the organizational MEL software – TolaData.
- Follow up with regions and country offices on tasks related to TolaData
- Provide capacity building to country offices and regions on using TolaData
- Support leadership in developing specific region-, country- and theme specific reports from the system using the data
- Clean, check, process data and conduct data analysis as needed
- Provide coordination support with large scale projects, such as MEL policy roll out
- Assist with MEL upskilling and capacity building initiatives
- And learn
Accountability to Participants and Stakeholders
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our program participants, community partners, other stakeholders, and to international standards guiding international relief and development work. We are committed to actively engaging communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Knowledge and Experience
- Academic background or equivalent experience in social science, economic growth, agriculture or other related field
- Academic background and demonstrated interest in data management processes, and be equally interested in data of any form– qualitative, quantitative, raw and secondary
- Experience or interest in working with agency-wide databases
- Knowledge of excel and at least one of the following statistical package software – STATA, SPSS, R
- Interest and/or knowledge/experience in:
- Developing data collection forms
- Curating data analysis outputs based on user feedback
- Conducting and analysing evaluation interviews
- Data visualization software (Power BI, Tableau)
- Digital data gathering tools (Ona, CommCare, Kobo)