The Liberia Accountability and Voice Initiative (LAVI) is a five-year, USAID-funded project to strengthen multi-stakeholder partnerships to advocate for and monitor policy and accountability reforms. It aims to increase the influence of citizens and media in the governance of public goods and services, as well as to create more effective, accountable, and inclusive governance in Liberia.
Location: Monrovia, Liberia
Objective: The Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (ME&L) Director reports directly to the Chief of Party and manages all monitoring, evaluation, and learning activities, as well as supervising the ME&L team.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Manage all aspects of the project’s monitoring and evaluation system
- Develop project’s performance management plan (PMP), including indicators, data collection methodology, and analysis and reporting tools, in line with LAVI contract and USAID M&E requirements
- Recommend periodic revisions to the PMP and work plan to ensure that the M&E procedures are responsive to the changing project
- Oversee continuous data collection and analysis in line with the PMP
- Lead periodic data quality assessments, ensuring compliance with PMP requirements, adequate documentation of all ME&L data, and remediation of any deficiencies
- Implement systems to safeguard the collection and management of program data
- Ensure compliance with USAID/Liberia monitoring and evaluation requirements, including the indicator reporting system
- Contribute to risk analysis, project reviews, and analysis of programming assumptions
Learning and Collaboration with Partners:
- Develop a system to capture knowledge and lessons learned, disseminate lessons within the project and among project partners, and build lessons learned into project activities
- Provide technical assistance to local partners and USAID/Liberia on strategies for information sharing, knowledge management and learning
- Provide support to local partners to develop and test theories of change, and support forums for information sharing and learning
Reporting and Communications:
- Oversee monthly, quarterly, annual, and ad hoc reporting against PMP indicators, including collection and analysis of data from partners
- Compile and edit monthly, quarterly, annual, and ad hoc reports
- Oversee project communications strategy, including qualitative and quantitative content and analysis, and communication quality assurance
- Contribute data, analysis, and written material to communications products
- Provide technical assistance and training to partners and LAVI staff on ME&L, knowledge management, and communications
- Liaise with USAID/Liberia in ME&L design and reporting
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor
Reporting and Supervision:
- Reports to the Chief of Party
- Supervises the ME&L Specialist and Communications and Outreach Specialist
- An advanced degree (masters or higher) in any of the following or related fields: social science, management, international development, or monitoring and evaluation.
- At least ten years professional experience, with five years in a developing country preferred; Sub-Saharan African experience preferred.
- Prior experience in the monitoring and evaluation of policy reform or in capacity development, with demonstrated capabilities in methodologies appropriate to complex change processes and capacity development.
- Demonstrated experience with data quality assessments and data audits
- Experience conducting knowledge management and dissemination activities on similar programs, preferably USAID-funded
- Experience training local partners and staff in ME&L initiatives
- Proven ability to develop and communicate a common vision among diverse partners and the ability to lead multidisciplinary teams.