Creative Associates International is a dynamic, fast-growing global development firm that specializes in education, economic growth, democratic institutions and stabilization. Based in Washington, D.C., Creative has a field presence in more than 15 countries with a strong client portfolio that includes the U.S. Agency for International Development and the State Department, among others. Since its founding in 1977, Creative has earned a solid reputation among its clients and is well-regarded by competitors and partners alike.
This position is for an upcoming education project in Jordan which seeks to transform the organizational culture and capacity within the Government of Jordan (GoJ) to successfully implement education and youth reforms. This will include providing support to the GoJ policy reform and complementary technical assistance to relevant stakeholders on systems management, monitoring, evaluation, and learning (MEL) systems, evidence-based planning and decision-making, HR management systems and financial resource management that are in support of enacting policy reforms in the areas of education and youth development.
The Monitoring Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Director will ensure that performance monitoring, action research, and evaluations are consistent with program outcomes and track progress of activities in achieving goals and outcomes. They will also manage and coordinate field monitoring and expert assessments, and any other personnel responsible for monitoring performance, monitoring and collecting data and reports. The Director will ensure that the methodologies proposed by the contractor to measure the impact of the program on access, retention, reading and learning outcomes, school safety, community involvement, gender, including disabilities, and conflict-sensitive measures, are consistently and systematically monitored and reported.
Reporting and Supervision:
The MEL Director will report to the Chief of Party and supervise a team of Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) specialists.
- Develop and update the project's Project Monitoring & Evaluation Plan, including review of its results framework, potential indicators, relevant and applicable baseline data collection strategies and methodologies, and the financial and human resources needed to successfully implement the M&E strategy;
- Provide technical support for the project's MEL capacity building component, including conducting research and data analysis to identify the GoJ's MEL gaps and priorities, and/or provide technical assistance to the MEL technical expert/STTA for capacity building support and developing MEL capacity building plans for the GoJ;
- Develop tools for data collection and protocols;
- Develop an advanced data management system, with the support of the M&E team;
- Analyze ongoing quantitative / qualitative data at different points in the program leading to the specific program / contract results;
- Conduct field visits, as necessary, to develop monitoring / performance management plans with project technical teams;
- Supervise technical assistance and training to provincial and district levels of education to support increased use of education data for decision-making;
- Regularly review project work plans to ensure the timely achievement of results related to USAID M&E;
- Elaborate annual project work plans related to the M&E component as well as budgets for relevant activities;
- Supervise and help build the capacity of project M&E staff at the provincial level to carry out project activities;
- Ensure regular communication of M&E activities to all key stakeholders and contribute to the quarterly, annual report and project reporting to USAID, with the support of the Communication Officer;
- Collaborate with the technical team to monitor the progress of the program in terms of the compliance requirements of USAID results and indicators;
- Work closely with technical staff and institutional partners to explain M&E processes and understand how these processes relate to the project's technical work, and to promote M&E -related training as needed;
- Manage M&E resources and ensure that M&E information and resources are up-to-date, available to staff and widely disseminated; and
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree is required; an advanced (master's / doctoral) degree in education or research is preferred;
- At least eight (8) years of work experience required, with preference given to candidates who have experience working in the field of education, youth, systems strengthening, and/or organizational change management,
- Proven success and experience in monitoring results and indicators of organizational change, particularly as related to MEL systems management, HR systems management, and financial systems management;
- Previous experience in USAID-funded programs, and a strong knowledge of USAID reporting requirements is an advantage;
- Training in qualitative and quantitative analysis;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and teamwork;
- Effective communication skills, able to make formal and informal presentations both orally and in writing and produce professional and analytical reports and program documents; and
- Fluency in English; professional proficiency in Arabic is preferred.