Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved - and is committed to continuing to improve - economies, societies and most importantly, people's lives.
Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status.
Project Overview and Role:
The Monitoring Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Manager will oversee and support the effective implementation of the MEL framework for this adaptive multi-sectoral DFID-funded project. The position will be based in Lilongwe with intermittent travel to project and partner locations. The role of the MEL Manager will be to track programme performance according to set benchmarks, contribute to structured internal decision-making processes and iterative learning, and evaluate the impact and effectiveness of the project over the course of the initiative.
The MEL Manager will be line managed by the Strategic Technical advisor and will receive technical support from the M&E Advisor. The MEL Manager is expected to work collaboratively with partners, grantees and other TRACTION components.
Design of monitoring system
- Develop a comprehensive understanding of issue-based projects and TRACTION's role in this, including programme objectives, implementation streams, coordination mechanisms and performance indicators.
- Design, manage and implement systems for results-based monitoring of programme activities to ensure quality of outputs and achievement of performance targets.
- Develop and implement structure for organising data generated by the programme, including a 'project dashboard'
Learning and adaptive management
- Establish and facilitate feedback forums on a regular basis to share accumulated learning across within the team and advise programme decision makers on the improvements to activity design and implementation processes.
- Support M&E Adviser to facilitate regular reviews of programme strategy and implementation experience
- Support development and revision of programme ToC and project-specific ToCs
- Collate information supporting monthly, quarterly and annual progress reports for programme activities
- Support development of lessons-learned notes, as appropriate
- Research and Evaluation
- Contribute to identification of formative research studies to be undertaken by the programme, including but not limited to political economy analysis
- Support or lead development of ToRs for formative research to be undertaken by the project
Coordination and capacity building
- Work collaboratively to build the MEL capacity of local partners, including grantees where appropriate
- Coordinate with other programmes to promote synergies across research, monitoring and evaluation frameworks, sharing of lessons learned and triangulation of observations, particularly across pillars 1 and 3
- Coordinate with independent evaluators, provided an independent evaluation is commissioned, to share relevant programme data and provide an overview of internal MEL mechanisms pertinent to third-party assessments.
Key experience and qualifications:
- Extensive experience of M&E system design and implementation with responsibility for organizational/programme learning;
- Demonstrated understanding and experience of knowledge management and communication
- Experience conducting monitoring or evaluation for DFID or another large bilateral donor
- Bachelor's degree (Master's degree preferable) in a relevant subject such as social science, political science, organizational development, M&E or similar;
- Ability to work effectively in both English and Chichewa
- Track record of experience of M&E capacity development of partner organizations;
- Ability to effectively operate MS-Excel and other relevant software for effective MEL processes
- Willingness and commitment to learn and improve; and
- A good analytical and problem solving skills;
- Demonstrated formal training in the area of monitoring and evaluation a plus
- Knowledge of gender equality and social inclusion (GESI) and experience of mainstreaming GESI;
- Good knowledge of value for money (VFM) approaches; and
- Experience implementing flexible/adaptive programming or designing monitoring systems to support this implementation