Palladium is an international company that develops and delivers solutions to create positive impact for communities, businesses, societies and economies. We work with governments, corporations, and non-profit organizations and currently implement over 100 projects with more than 2000 employees across 90 countries.
Project Overview and Role
In Malawi, Palladium manages the USAID-funded Health Policy Plus (HP+) Project. HP+ works with key stakeholders to advance health policy and financing for family planning and reproductive health (FP/RH), HIV, Malaria, and Maternal and Newborn health at national and subnational levels. The project aims to improve the enabling environment for equitable and sustainable health services, supplies, and delivery systems through policy development and implementation, with an emphasis on voluntary, rights-based health programs, and by strengthening in-country partners' capacity to navigate complex environments for effective policy design, implementation, and financing aligned to the existing priorities.
- In 2018, the Government of Malawi (GOM) issued a National Adolescent Girls and Youth Women (AGYW) Strategy to provide a multi-sectoral response and collective action to ensure that adolescent girls are educated, healthy, and are economically and socially empowered to break the cycle of poverty. A Secretariat, housed within the Ministry of Youth, Sports and Culture (MOYSC), has been established to coordinate the implementation of the AGYW strategy.
- HP+ is seeking a Monitoring, Evaluation, and Systems Strengthening Specialist for the AGYW Secretariat. The successful candidate will be a seconded full time to the GOM, Ministry of Youth, Sports and Culture.
- The Specialist will report for day-to-day assignment to Director, Youth at the Ministry of Youth Development and Sports. Management oversight will be provided by the HP+ Malawi Country Director, while additional technical oversight will be available through Palladium global technical experts.The position is a fixed-term contract of one year, with a possibility of extension depending on GOM and USAID priorities and the availability of funding. The location for this position is Lilongwe, Malawi.
To offer technical expertise to the AGYW Secretariat, the Core Ministries, and the Districts in tracking and coordinating the implementation of the monitoring and evaluation (M&E) component of the AGYW activities by ensuring quality achievement of agreed frameworks.
The specific roles and responsibilities for the position are as follows:
- Development and management of the M&E work plan, scorecard and dashboard for the AGYW Strategy in line with the AGWY Theory of Change and M&E plan;
- Lead in the review and development of monitoring and evaluation (M&E) tools, data collection methods, data quality assurance measures, and data quality audits for the Secretariat, the Core Ministries, Development Partners, Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs), and other key stakeholders;
- Prepare training materials to strengthen data collection and use through harmonized referral registers or other tools introduced by the AGYW strategy;
- Work with relevant Ministries, development partners, and pilot implementation districts to formalize the data collection, flow, and analysis processes, as well as the roles and responsibilities of district leadership and stakeholders;
- Work to increase AGYW Secretariat and Core Ministries ability to effectively manage and maintain ongoing AGYW data and implementation research through mentoring;
- Validate and analyse AGYW data to assist in evaluation of interventions, policies, and related activities;
- Provide guidance for district implementation through supporting the District Executive Committees and development partners on AGYW Strategy implementation (including referrals and linkages SOPs) and the development of district-specific dashboards to track key AGYW statistics, strategy implementation benchmarks and intervention mapping;
- Work alongside an identified database design team to establish, populate, and ensure ongoing use of an AGYW management information system that compiles data across at least four distinct ministries and pilot district governments; and
- Contribute to programmatic and study reports, publications, and presentations.
- A minimum of a Bachelor's Degree with credit in any of the following areas: Economics, Statistics, Database Management, Information Technology / ICT / Informatics and Demography from a recognised university or tertiary-level institution. Master's degree is preferred.
- Have a clear understanding of basic concepts of monitoring and evaluation of AGYW, Youth, Gender or health related programmes.
- Three or more years of experience working in data management, data analysis, and/or quality improvement/quality assurance.
- Demonstrated ability to design data management system to effectively manage and house data for multiple GOM users and uses.
- Demonstrated ability to manage, gather, and clean data.
- Demonstrated knowledge of best practices on improving data demand and use and data for decision-making.
- Excellence in Statistical data packages (Strata, SPSS etc), Excel and demonstrable proficiency with database software and applications.
- Demonstrated ability to function well in a highly-visible, cross-cultural, and multi-sectoral team, collaborating with and balancing diverse priorities and GOM stakeholder priorities.
- Have a strong grasp of the current and critical issues pertaining of AGYW, Youths, Gender, Health and Education in Malawi and the world.
- Have excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Be very computer literate.
- Fluency in both oral and written communication in English.