Role & Responsibilities
Improve the quality of multi-sector responses provided through Medair’s programmes. This varied and challenging role involves development of a Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning Country Strategy, designing and ensuring the implementation and impact of appropriate Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning systems throughout the Medair South Sudan Programme and introducing appropriate use of available innovative MEL tools. The MEL Manager will be involved in coordinating and supporting MEL aspects of health, nutrition, WASH and NFI programmes, line management of MEL staff and training of programme staff to implement appropriate MEL measures. The MEL Manager will also be required to represent Medair at relevant meetings with clusters, local authorities, NGOs and other stakeholders.
Multi-sector emergency response programme including the provision of emergency health, nutrition, WASH, and NFI/Shelter services for vulnerable populations in South Sudan.
Key Activity Areas
Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning Oversight in multi-sector projects
- Develop a country Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) strategy, in liaison with the sector advisors.
- Support roll out of a MEL initiative for collecting ongoing programme data, and coordinate data analysis and use with relevant technical advisors and the Program Funding Manager.
- Support the PCs and PMs to understand the MEL system and become familiar with M&E requirements.
- Responsible for ensuring the integration of Beneficiary Accountability within the MEL framework.
- Liaise with Project Coordinators, Project Managers and Advisors to ensure internal and external MEL requirements are scheduled and budgeted at appropriate stage in programme management cycle.
- Ensure all Medair and donor M&E indicators are followed up and reported on appropriately.
- Provide additional support to programme management activities where necessary.
- Input into the development of the SDS country strategy, new projects and/or donor proposals.
- Ensure cross cutting issues (HIV/AIDS, gender consideration & environment marker) as conflict sensitivity/”do no harm” approach are incorporated, monitored and evaluated into multi-sector interventions.
- Support MEL elements of proposal and report writing including provision of data, indicator progress and monitoring plans in cooperation with field managers and field and GSO sector advisors.
- Ensure sector MEL systems are harmonized with South Sudan projects from data collection to data base.
Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning Management
- Coordinate with field and GSO technical advisors for indicators and review of measurement plans.
- Develop monitoring plans for all proposals in collaboration with programme managers and sector advisors.
- Work with sector advisors to develop and standardize survey tools and other data collection forms for monitoring programmes. Liaise with consultants for new survey methodologies.
- Coordinate and oversee implementation of baseline surveys, needs assessments, KPC surveys, SMART surveys, midterm and end of project evaluations and other relevant monitoring and evaluation activities.
- Support role out of innovative and updated MEL technology and software.
- Promote measures to safeguard MEL institutional memory in SDS programme by advising on reporting, data management and communicating lessons learned from MEL.
- Follow up necessary action points from the quarterly programme progress and strategy meetings.
- Train relevant programmes staff on MEL tools, data collection and analysis and basic surveying and sampling techniques. Assist project staff to manage programme data for regular monitoring of programme progress.
- Line-manage the Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning Officers and any additional temporary or surge capacity MEL staff, including recruitment, day-to-day management, development and training, appraisals, etc.
- Ensure line managed staff receive supervision, mentoring and training in order to develop their personal and professional skills, knowledge and understanding. This may be through on-the-job training and sessions.
- Hold regular team meetings with the assigned programme support staff, reviewing team and individual objectives and ensuring team members are kept informed of issues relevant to their work.
- Promote the health and security of the monitoring and evaluation teams in the field by ensuring the application of security guidelines, provision of essential communication equipment, guidelines for health and safety in the workplace and healthy living conditions and practices.
- Assist in the recruitment of local field staff to implement monitoring and evaluation activities within the intervention location following all HR policies of Medair and national policies.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network
- University degree in public health, Biostatistics/Statistics, international development or other relevant social science.
- Proficiency using SPSS, STATA, EPI-INFO and/or SMART –ENA software.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).