Chemonics seeks a Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Specialist for the anticipated Achieving Universal Health Coverage (UHC) Task Order under the USAID Integrated Health Systems (IHS) IDIQ. This position will be based in Arlington, VA (Crystal City).
The purpose of this Task Order is to support achievement of USAID health systems strengthening (HSS) priorities as a means to achieve universal health coverage (UHC). USAID’s focus on health systems strengthening is to support partner countries on their journey to self-reliance and prosperity to meet their commitments for improved health and well-being of their population, by strengthening health systems performance and supporting sustained health impact. Under this Achieving UHC Task Order, technical assistance may be provided in more than 50 countries over the life of the project. Technical assistance will be prioritized to countries under USAID’s efforts for Preventing Child and Maternal Deaths, Controlling the HIV/AIDS Epidemic, and Combating Infectious Disease Threats.
The MEL Specialist will report to the Project Director and be responsible for ensuring adaptive management and programming, efficient measurement of health system performance, and monitoring of progress toward the project end goals. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world.
- Lead development and implementation of the MEL plan for the overall task order. This will include, but is not limited to, development of the following:
- Theory of change; results framework; indicators, including indicators to assess capacity development, transition to local partners, country ownership, and sustainability; methods for system-wide monitoring and context monitoring; targets; evaluation and research plan; data sources, data collection, management, analysis and reporting processes; data storage and security plan; data quality assessments, and; learning and adapting approaches and mechanisms
- Lead development country-specific MEL plans
- Lead development and implementation of the knowledge management plan for the overall task order. This will include but not be limited to: how project data and information will be used to inform implementation; how project experiences will inform the field of health systems strengthening, and; how information will be collected and distributed
- Contribute to the development of annual work plans and review the relevance of the MEL plan against these work plans
- Train staff and partners on MEL system operations, collection methods, and tools, including, as applicable, the DevResults software
- A Master’s and/or Bachelor’s degree in health policy and administration, health sector development, public health or related field, combined with the following minimum years of experience:
- 12 years of experience (with Master’s degree)
- 15 years of experience (with BA/BS)
- Previous experience and demonstrated expertise in monitoring, evaluation and learning. This must include quantitative and qualitative data management and analysis, design of rigorous study protocols, health systems mapping and/or performance assessment, and translating data into actionable information.
- Minimum three (3) years of experience in directing or implementing adaptive management and learning systems or processes for development programs in/for low and middle-income countries.
- Experience supervising and coordinating MEL activities across multiple staff preferred.
- Fluency in English oral and written communication required.