Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible.In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
Program / Department Summary
Mercy Corps is working on scaling-up its presence for mid and long-term programming for Libyans, including those who have been internally displaced as well as returnees. It is imperative that Mercy Corps present itself as a key and reliable partner with various donors, INGOs, government authorities and civil society actors, to be part of the process of positive change. Mercy Corps, with its global experience in working in countries undergoing major transitions, will be a key contributor in the process, bringing knowledge, expertise and strong management skills to position the agency as a partner of choice for progressive change in Libya, as well as in response to vulnerable populations in Libya.
Libya is currently in the midst a major humanitarian crisis impacting the entire country as well as a number of the neighboring countries. The main thrust of the work of Mercy Corps along with its national and international partners for the foreseeable future is to focus on meeting the urgent war-related humanitarian needs across the country. The heightened insecurity and continuous acts of violence make the humanitarian response not only more challenging, but increasingly complicated. We believe that a natural synergy exists between our response to the needs of Libyan internally displaced and those made vulnerable as a result of the conflict within Libya, and responding to the needs of those forced to flee and now living in displacement in Libyan cities. Mercy Corps will continue to work closely with the Libyan authorities and organizations and with our international partners to ensure an effective humanitarian response.
General Position Summary
The M&E Manager will work closely with all program staff under the direct supervision of the Libya Programs Manager. S/He will be the focal person in charge of data management, information collection and dissemination, analysis and ensuring that data is safely stored and accessible to appropriate staff member for programming purposes.
Essential Job Responsibilities
Strategy & Vision
- Provide monthly analytical statistical updates on the conflicts, protection and human rights situation in target district and comprehensive updates for each sub location; highlighting emerging trends and gap(s) for the attention of the Libya Programs Manager and or other staff within the team;
- Participate in design, monitoring and evaluation of program activities under the guidance of the Libya Programs Manager;
- Actively participate in the revision/design of new program implementation strategies/interventions;
- Carry out analysis of reports especially statistical data and submit to the Libya Programs Manager;
- Participate in the designing of baseline, Midterm & End-line survey tools and analysis for the projects;
- Recognize opportunities for innovative action and create an environment where alternative viewpoints are welcomed.
- Set direction by prioritizing and organizing actions & resources to achieve objectives and contribute to countrywide strategy development.
- Design data collection tools and methodology; ensuring timely, consistent and ethical data collection, analysis and safe storage;
- Design and maintain all program information databases, ensuring monthly back up of program files;
- Receive and ensure proper tracking of all documents/data submitted by the Program Coordinator and Field Officers;
- Ensure that data received from staff are entered into databases within 7 days of receipt and submitted to the Manager according to agreed schedules;
- Produce ad hoc reports generated from databases according to the needs of program staff;
- Integrate community approaches, gender sensitivity and capacity building into all activities as appropriate.
- Create and maintain systems ensuring effective and transparent use of financial resources for timely and informative reporting in line with donor and Mercy Corps policies and procedures.
- Fulfill Mercy Corps’ Program Management Minimum Standards based on the organization-wide guide.
- Ensure all interventions adhere to Mercy Corps’ Gender Policy, Do No Harm principles, and beneficiary accountability standards.
- Develop the capacity of the team, deepen understanding of their roles and assist with career development.
- Assist team members with information, tools and resources to improve performance & reach objectives.
- Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback informally and formally via regular one on ones and performance reviews.
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence.
- Hire, orient and lead team members as necessary.
Finance & Compliance Management
- Ensure compliance with donor and Mercy Corps regulations related to emergency programming.
- Draft and/or review scope of work to hire and manage any technical consultants, including review for technical efficacy and contract budget.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically
- to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Supervisory Responsibility: None
Reports Directly To: Libya Programs Manager
Works Directly With: Team Leader, Deputy Team Leader, Grants Manager, Program Coordinator, Operations Manager, Humanitarian Access Team,
Knowledge and Experience
- String knowledge of spoken and written English language;
- Degree in data management, computer science, Information Technology or related field;
- Excellent computer skills including MS Word, Excel, Access as well as internet and other recognized data management tools;
- Experience in data collection, data management and preparation of analytical reports.
- Experience working in Libya, or other settings with conflict-affected populations preferred;
- Experience of working in an insecure environment, and willingness to make regular field visits outside of Tunis; within the constraints of MC’s Security Policies.
- Competence in data management software such as Ms Excel, Ms Access, etc.;
- Good interpersonal skills, organizational skills, communication, ability to work with minimum supervision and commitment to team work;
- Ability to speak Arabic language is an added advantage;
- Demonstrated ability to lead and communicate effectively with team members of varied work styles, follow procedures, and meet deadlines
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrated flexibility and creativity in planning and problem solving
- Proven ability to learn quickly, take initiative, and be accountable for results
- Ability to work with diverse groups of people
- Conscientious, with an excellent sense of judgment