FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in Health, Education, Nutrition, Environment, Economic Development, Civil Society, Gender, Youth, Research and Technology– creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today's interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 60 countries, all 50 U.S. states and all U.S. territories.
FHI 360 is currently recruiting for the position of Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) Specialist for an anticipated USAID-funded district governance strengthening project in Zambia. The project will help the Government of the Republic of Zambia by informing citizens and building their capacity to effectively demand improved service delivery, while building a local system of governance capable of responsive service delivery. Position is expected to begin Spring 2019.
Job Summary and Responsibilities:
The M&E Specialist will play a lead role in the design and implementation of a comprehensive monitoring and evaluation plan by developing appropriate indicators, implementing systems to safeguard the collection and management of program data, and recommending changes to annual work plans or data collection techniques as needed. The M&E Specialist will also train project staff and liaise with USAID/Zambia on M&E reporting requirements and program learning strategies. Primary responsibilities will include:
- Overseeing the application of Collaborating, Learning, and Adapting (CLA) principles to inform program implementation and management.
- Refining the design of the program M&E system, clearly identifying the users and the utility of the data/information;
- Refining M&E indicators and adapt M&E tools to meet program needs, which may include pre- and post- tests, focus group interview protocols, community survey tools, and baseline, mid-term, and end-line survey instruments;
- Managing and safeguarding data collection, train program staff, and supervise M&E activities of staff and sub-contractors;
- Liaising with the USAID Mission on the design of M&E tools and on modifications to M&E system;
- Analyzing all data collected and advise program management on needed program revisions; and
- Contributing to written performance reports for funder and other program deliverables.
- Working with grantees to ensure accurate information flow including guidance/support on grantee data collection, measurement and reporting.
- Master's degree or its international equivalent in social science, management, international development, monitoring and evaluation, or a related field; Master’s degree or its international equivalent preferred;
- Minimum of 8 years of related work experience with experience managing and executing monitoring and evaluation activities for donor-funded programs, including experience monitoring and evaluating policy reform and/or capacity development activities;
- Demonstrated abilities in qualitative and quantitative M&E methodologies appropriate to complex change processes and capacity development, and in knowledge management and organizational learning;
- Experience coordinating with governments, ministries and/or local NGOs, as well as local communities, for design and implementation of surveys and other data collection techniques, including those that address capacity weaknesses, preferred;
- Proven interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to lead multidisciplinary teams;
- Oral and written fluency in English.
- Ability to effectively use statistical analysis software such as STATA and SPSS.