CTG support and manage humanitarian projects in fragile and conflict-affected countries around the world. With past performance in 15 countries – from the Middle East, Africa, Europe, Asia and Central and South America – we offer a holistic fabric of project management, implementation and support. Skilled in emergency response to crises such as the Ebola outbreak in West Africa, we have the ability to act quickly (crisis response teams can be on the ground in 24 hours) and to establish structured operations in high-risk environments. CTG recruit and manage qualified, skilled teams with extensive experience operating in challenging conditions.
Overview of position
Safety Net and Skills Development Project (SNSDP) is an initiative of the Govt. of the Republic of South Sudan. The govt. is supported by the World Bank (WB) to address existing challenges of soaring levels of poverty, vulnerability, unemployment and idleness, particularly among the youth.
SNSDP’s focus is to facilitate access to income opportunities and temporary employment to the most vulnerable and set up the basis for a social protection system. SNSDP has three main components namely:
- Social Protection System and Project Management.
- Public Works.
- Skills Development.
The Ministry of Agriculture & Food Security (MAFS) is the lead ministry for implementation and has the overall fiduciary and project management responsibilities in addition to coordination of the public works. UNOPS has been requested to support the humanitarian needs of the SNSDP with the implementation of public works.
The public work component focuses on cash-for-work as a short-term intervention to provide temporary employment in public projects (e.g. building, repairing, or maintaining local minor infrastructure) to the most vulnerable segments of South Sudanese population aiming to be benefit up to 35 thousand beneficiaries in 6 vulnerable locations across the country.
Under the overall supervision of the Team Leader, the incumbent is required to perform the following duties and responsibilities:
- Collects all relevant data and facilitates the implementation of feasibility and baseline studies where appropriate.
- Ensure entry, management and update of the cash transfer program data in the MIS system.
- Conduct comprehensive baseline and end-line assessments of all CFW beneficiaries on a rolling basis to assess the success of the CFW activities and the level of impact achieved.
- Develops a field monitoring plan based on agreed upon progress and target indicator sets.
- Support the development of data collection methodology and tools.
- Identify and refer/report individuals with special needs, protection concerns and any problems to the PMT based in Juba.
- Ensure the high quality of data by ensuring the accurate data collection, data entry and upload as well as basic analysis of information.
- Provide regular verbal and written feedback on field observations and monitoring findings to the M&E Specialist in Juba.
- Facilitates the implementation of regular and periodic project evaluations.
- Performs any other tasks as requested by the supervisor.
- Monitoring and progress controls.
- Develops and distributes performance reports related to M&E. Regularly reviews project status, evaluating performance criteria (scope, cost, schedule and quality).
- Prepares and issues regular reports in accordance with supervisor’s guidelines.
- Maintains diaries and progress reports as required by UNOPS standard procedures.
Project reporting: This role reports to the Team Leader.
- Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
- Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
- Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
- Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
Education: Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration, Development Studies, Management, Social Sciences or related field required or Masters Degree in the above field is an asset.
- Minimum of 2 years of relevant experience in the areas of M&E is required.
- Experience in cash for work project.
- Clear knowledge and experience working on data analysis.
- Experience in development work in remote areas highly desirable.
- Experience of working with local counterparts in building their capacity is desirable.
- Experience in road construction and capacity building will be an asset.
- Fluency in written and oral English required.
- Knowledge of Arabic language required.