UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, a Monitoring & Evaluation Champion!
Purpose of the Post
The overall purpose of the post is to contribute to the implementation and coordination of monitoring and evaluation and knowledge management for the Strengthening Health Governance Project.
Specific objectives of the post are to support the country office in delivering valid and reliable information on the attainment of the project goals; to assist the project team in effectively monitoring partners through the use (and refinement if necessary) of monitoring and evaluation tools to track progress on the project objectives; and to support the development of national capacities for monitoring amongst government, community, and civil society stakeholders.
The M&E Officer will be based in Freetown but will travel extensively to districts managed under the Makeni field office. S/he will work closely with civil society, government partners and community leaders.
Tasks and deliverables
Grant Management: Support all M&E initiatives including monitoring data quality, tracking the progress of project performance and activities, and contributing to partner staff capacity building initiatives as necessary.
- Create/refine a framework and procedures for the monitoring and evaluation of project activities and results.
- Ensure that UNICEF and partner monitoring systems are functioning and in use, and that data collection and analysis from field visits are coordinated and standardized across programmes to feed into programme performance monitoring;
- Propose and implement strategies to increase data quality, use and demand amongst partner staff.
- Assist project and partner staff in clarifying project information needs.
- Support project/program staff on ways to properly document, organize and capture project progress.
Data Management and Analysis
- Support information/data collection, statistics and data analysis for seamless data flow and reporting from the community to district to national level and back
- Identify strengths and weaknesses in existing data collection and management systems develop and implement solutions
- Ensure the quality of data collected, verify the accuracy and conduct analysis of reported data.
Communication and Reporting
- Provide inputs to management reports based on monitoring and analysis of project performance indicators;
- Identify bottlenecks in project implementation and enhance quality of reporting from partners.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have:
- University degree in Social Sciences, Epidemiology, Statistics, Population Studies/Demography, or similar degree.
- Professional work experience in programme development and implementation including monitoring and evaluation and/or information management systems activities is required; having this within the health sector is an advantage. Two years or more experience in health monitoring and evaluation program/project development and previous work experience in UN system agency or organization is a major asset. Technical knowledge/expertise in data collection, data management, planning, monitoring and evaluation process management is also required.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Good analytical, negotiating and communication skills;
- Demonstrated ability to work in multicultural teams;
- Demonstrated knowledge on gender equality, human rights and equity principles;
- Knowledge of computer management skills, including internet navigation and various office applications. Knowledge of SPSS and/or STATA is an asset; and
- Understanding of UNICEF Mission Statement and UNICEF Guiding Principles.
For every Child, you demonstrate:
UNICEF’s core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.