FAO Bangladesh assists the Government to formulate policies, programmes and projects to address the root causes of hunger and malnutrition, develop the agricultural, fisheries and forestry sectors, and utilize environmental and natural resources in a sustainable way. It contributes to the development of FAO’s field programme projects in the country and implements them in the sectors of food security, agriculture and rural development.
The Monitoring & Evaluation Specialist is under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative in the Bangladesh, works in close consultation with the, Deputy FAO Representative, Assistant FAO Representative (Programme) and the other project coordinators. The position collaborates closely with the technical team from Wageningen University and Research (WUR) who are main partner in this project. The M&E Specialist shall report to the project CTA.
The Consultant will work as part of a multidisciplinary team on a day to-day with the overall aim of developing a comprehensive communications strategy for the country office and its projects and funds.
Tasks and responsibilities :
- Ensure the collection of the necessary information to complete monitoring baselines and design the monitoring framework for the project.
- Provide capacity development for FAO Bangladesh national staff and partners on the tools and systems for proper functioning of M&E in quality assurance and strengthen a culture of open reflection, learning and improvement.
- Monitor and evaluate progress of activities of related projects and implement the M&E plans as per donor requirements and update work plans and prepare action plans as needed.
- Support the preparation of regular monitoring and progress reports to donors, FAO and stakeholders (Ministries, etc.) meetings and consultations.
- Lead regular update and management of the project relational database used to report on monitoring and update of the (web-based) capacity building monitoring system.
- Lead the preparation of an action plan for an information sharing mechanism and dissemination of results and update the project activities to national stakeholders.
- In coordination with technical and operational officers, lead the process of data collection, analysis, and ensuring data quality of M&E database both internally and externally.
- Establish a beneficiary accountability system and protocols for the project to ensure that beneficiaries are informed and involved in the project implementation.
- Monitor project activities and progress towards achievement of results and provide feedback to FAO Management for improving the efficiency and effectiveness of project implementation by identifying bottlenecks and recommending corrective actions.
- Identify and formulate lessons learned from project evaluations, special studies and monitoring to be integrated into broader knowledge management efforts.
- Lead the preparation of an action plan for an information sharing mechanism and dissemination of results and update regularly the literature reference system and archiving of documents and reports.
- Support the process of project evaluation: managing baselines, midterm reviews and evaluations, including drafting/reviewing TORs, evaluation team selection, providing technical feedback, facilitating management response and dissemination of findings, in line with FAO’s evaluation policies, procedures and practices
- Provide technical support for the annual Technical Assistant Team work plans and budgets & perform other related duties as required
- Advanced university degree in finance, economics, development studies, project management, statistics, agriculture monitoring and evaluation, or related fields;
- Minimum of 7 years of relevant experience in monitoring and evaluation in a humanitarian and/or development contexts with good analytical and reporting skills.
- Excellent communication, writing and presentation skills in English and limited knowledge of a second official language of the Organization (French, Spanish, Arabic, Chinese, Russian).
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Knowledge of/familiarity with statistical skills/packages and computer analytical tools is necessary.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to manage workloads under tight deadlines;
- Strong project management skills, including keen attention to detail and ability to follow tasks and ideas through to completion;
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work with a team and with people from diverse backgrounds;
- The incumbent must possess teamwork spirit, ability to work under minimum supervision, flexibility and good interpersonal skills.
- Proven experience in the area of Result Based Management (RBM), Strategic Planning, and M&E related capacity building (experience with UN agencies preferred).
- Proven experience of developing M&E framework and tools for food security and livelihoods emergency response projects.
- Experience in delivering training on M&E and data analysis (SPSS & STATA).
- Experience of quantitative and qualitative data collection and analysis.
- Sound knowledge and experience on writing reports.
- Good knowledge of UN system, procedures and operational activities is an advantage.
- Previous experience working in Bangladesh and/or South Asia will be an added advantage.