Proposal for development, implementation, customization, and maintenance of the platform that includes technical specifications as well as user requirements.
Presentation of the proposal to UNICRI stakeholders.
- 10 working days in March-April 2021
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Background of the assignment:
United Nations Interregional Crime and Justice Research Institute (UNICRI) is a United Nations entity established in 1968 to support countries worldwide in preventing crime and facilitating criminal justice. UNICRI is mandated to assist intergovernmental, governmental and non-governmental organizations in formulating and implementing improved policies in the field of crime prevention and criminal justice.
UNICRI' s goals are:
- to advance understanding of crime-related problems;
- to foster just and efficient criminal justice systems;
- to support the respect of international instruments and other standards;
- to facilitate international law enforcement cooperation and judicial assistance.
Purpose of the assignment:
- Integrated knowledge management through research and the dissemination of relevant information on crime prevention and criminal justice is one of UNICRI’s core objectives. This objective is reliant upon specialized training and education activities.
- In carrying out these objectives, UNICRI is looking to develop and eLearning platform based on Moodle solution that would assist the Institute with offering a variety of courses for an increasing number of users.
- The Moodle Developer will conduct a focus group with key UNICRI stakeholders of the eLearning project, conceptualize a solution and prepare and deliver a proposal for development, implementation, customization, maintenance and training of project staff. The proposal should include technical specifications, functionality as well as look and feel of the proposed platform, time line and cost estimate. The proposal will need to be delivered to key stakeholders for their final review and acceptance.
Specific tasks to be performed by the consultant:
Under the supervision of the IT Assistant, and the overall guidance of the Chief, Centralized Management Unit, the Moodle Developer will be required to perform the following tasks:
- Gain familiarity with the UNICRI IT architecture and server environment.
- Conduct a focus group with key UNICRI stakeholders of the eLearning project regarding their requirements for the new Moodle-based platform.
- Conceptualize a creative and innovative solution following outcome of the focus group with key UNICRI stakeholders.
- Prepare a detailed proposal for development, implementation, customization, and maintenance of the platform that includes technical specifications as well as user requirements. The proposal should also include a training plan for key users (end users as well as IT personnel) and development of documentation for custom code, architecture deployment and system integration details. The proposal should include cost and timeline.
- Present the draft proposal to key UNICRI stakeholders for their review in an online meeting. If any changes are required, revise the document and present it again. Repeat the review process as necessary to receive approval of the stakeholders as well as the project’s management team.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in computer science, information technology, system engineering, management information system, or related discipline is required. A Bachelor’s degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying work experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- At least three years of experience in the design and management of web-based eLearning applications is required. Specific experience with Moodle LMS platform installation, customization and integration of plug-ins is required. Experience with PHP, MySQL and SQL queries is required. Experience with Linux and Windows operating system administration is required. Experience working with internal or external clients for conceptualizing, developing and presenting creative solutions is highly desirable. Experience with supporting technologies, including but not limited to version control systems (Git / SVN), continuous integration,
- and configuration management is desirable. Experience within UN System or similar international organizations is also desirable.
Language: Proficiency in English (oral and written fluency) is required for this post.