Modern Parliament for a Modern Armenia project is designed to strengthen the National Assembly of the Republic of Armenia in its new and fundamentally enhanced role within the governance system in carrying out key functions of law-making, oversight, and representation. With a long-term goal of enhancing the overall effectiveness of the Parliament as a policy-making institution, the project is designed to support the National Assembly to take the advantage of the modern governance tools and mechanisms that are focusing on improved quality, transparency and inclusiveness of parliamentary operations and enhanced parliamentary capacity for gender-responsive policymaking, as well as overall safety and security of the Parliament and its operations.
The three components of the project are focused on the areas of Legislative capacity, Legislative transparency, and Legislative responsiveness. To that end, a three-stage strategy will be applied: (i) catalytic stage of needs assessment, strategic agenda-setting, and pilots of the designed approaches, (ii) full-fledged implementation of the strategic agenda, tested approaches and activities, (iii) evaluation of the implementation, policy recommendations, and project closure.
The project is planned for the period of four years (2019-2022) during the term of the National Assembly of the 7th Convocation (2019-2023). The project will be implemented through a basket fund model.
Under the direct supervision of the Chief Technical Specialist, the Adviser will provide advice and support for the MAP Programme on parliamentary assistance, activities with national partners and the project’s employees as they relate to the Programme.
The National Adviser will provide advise and input on a spectrum on parliamentary assistance focused on innovate aspects and guidance to support the MAP Project in producing the results specified in the project documents, to the required standard of quality and within the specified constraints of time and cost.
Duties and Responsibilities
- The Adviser will act under the overall supervision of UNDP MAP Project CTA and Associate Coordinator and work in coordination with the other two National Advisers on the MAP Project, to provide inputs and advice on various matters related to the work of the National Assembly within the MAP Project Scope as follows:
- Advise and contribute to MAP Project identifying issues and results capturing and reporting;
- Monitoring of parliamentary activities to provide regular update and results capturing for the Results and Resources Framework of the MAP Project.
- Provide regular briefs and analysis on parliamentary developments and implementation of the Project outputs and results for the MAP Project as well as the National Assembly including;
- Advise on identifying and mitigating risks.
- Analysis on the fractions and committees of the National Assembly related to the MAP Project work
- Map public consultations in the National Assembly.
- Provide advice on the outstanding matters related to parliamentary developments and implementation of project outcomes.
- Develop Chapters for cross-party caucuses, action plans and content.
- Contribute to the Project’s reports with respective sections.
- Bi-weekly briefs - 6 drafted and approved
- Public consultations in the National Assembly mapped
- Analysis on the Plenary Sessions and committee meetings
- Cross-party framework developed
- At least 3 reports on parliamentary developments and implementation of project outcomes provided.
- Maturity and professionalism to relate to and work impartially and confidentially with Parliament and Government;
- Demonstrated capacity to innovate and think creatively;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills;
- Strong analytical, reporting and writing abilities skills;
- Openness to change and ability to receive/integrate feedback;
- Ability to plan, organize, implement and report on work;
- Ability to work under pressure and tight deadlines;
- Proficiency in the use of office IT applications and internet in conducting research;
- Outstanding communication, project management and organizational skills;
- Excellent presentation and facilitation skills.
- Demonstrates integrity and ethical standards;
- Positive, constructive attitude to work;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Capacity to interact with senior officials and elected Members and credibly influence senior decision makers;
- Strong analytical, negotiation and communication skills, including ability to produce high quality practical advisory reports and knowledge products;
- Effective and timely delivery of agreed outputs in a high-pressure work environment.
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) in development, political and/or social sciences, or related field.
- At least 7 years of experience in policy analysis with specific experience in management of governance or parliament support projects.
- At least five 5 years of respective working experience in policy analysis, Relevant professional experience in parliamentary development, preferably in a multilateral development context;
- Experience in partnership building at international, national, regional and local level;
- Experience with project cycle management will be an asset.
- Demonstrated practical knowledge and experience in the field of parliamentary assistance;
- project/programme; Proven experience and knowledge in policy related assessments;
- Experience in writing report/analysis/ policy outlook
- Sound knowledge of political and administrative system in Armenia
- Experience and/or knowledge in gender equality and innovation
- Native in Armenian and excellent written and oral English language is required.