National Communication Specialist
Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, Beirut, Lebanon
Closing Date for Applications:
The post is located in the FAO Representation in Lebanon. The National Communication Consultant (NCC) is responsible for corporate and internal communication activities of the Representation. It ensures coherence and consistency in FAO’s corporate messaging and communications’ outputs, as well as enables cost-effectiveness in use of communication-related resources across the Representation.
Under the direct supervision of the FAO Representative and in close coordination with the Regional Communication Specialist, the National Communication Consultant shall contribute to strengthen FAO‘s communication strategy and products in Lebanon. His/her support shall ensure an effective presence in the media of the FAO as a dynamic and renewed organization that works to strengthen food security and to promote agriculture, fisheries, livestock and the sustainable management of natural resources to the benefit of communities and rural people in need.
Internet and Internal Communication, web publishing, social media and channels.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Support the development and implement a communications strategy for the Representation in conjunction with the programmes team
- Work closely with FAO programmes’ team and all relevant FAO regional and HQ divisions, on the Organization’s local, regional and international days/events/ campaigns
- Liaise with FAO regional office and HQ to maintain high visibility of FAO Lebanon office on FAO social media and communications platform
- Develop communications and public information materials for the FAO activities in Lebanon such as success stories, fact sheets, pamphlets, brochures, press releases, website content, and multimedia products in both English and Arabic languages.
- Prepare and support formulation of background notes, speeches, presentations and talking points for FAO events.
- Work with graphic designers, photographers, multimedia companies and printers to obtain materials in accordance with the organization’s specifications.
- Maintain and update the official website of Representation and other media platforms
- Share on monthly basis information, schedule of meeting and important planned events
- Build and nurture effective and close partnership with media outlets based in the country and create a pool of reliable media representatives to ensure complete coverage of the activities of the organization;
- Organize press conferences, briefings and interviews with technical and project officers;
- Track media coverage of FAO activities in Lebanon;
- Assist in organizing workshops, site visits, official opening ceremonies, interviews, TV and radio broadcast;
- Liaise with the United Nations Communication Group for enhanced visibility of FAO programmes and UN activities in Lebanon.
- Perform any other duties assigned by the Representative or supervisor.
- Regularly participate in monthly coordination meetings with the Regional Office for corporate communication strategic planning;
- Adapt and disseminate all statements, press releases and/or reports from the HQ/Regional Office through the local network of media contacts, institutions and organizations in Lebanon;
- Take part in meetings, training and workshops organized by the Regional Office to build the Regional Corporate Network of Communication focal points;
- Alert and/or warn the Regional Office regarding special internal situations (weather events, elections, protests, strikes, etc.) that can lead to problems that affect the population, more particularly agriculture, crops and harvests;
- Any other task needed in support of the regional communication and adequate responding to the needs of the Organization.
- Communication Plan 2019-2020 developed and validated.
- FAO 2019/2020 Institutional materials produced distributed and monitored.
- Appropriate communication support to training and information materials from FAO projects.
- Preparation and follow-up of the Communication Plans in projects prioritized by the Field Programme.
- Information on FAO interventions (status, results, and achievements) shared at national, regional and local level, also with beneficiary communities, partners and donors.
- Monthly report about representation appearances in local media elaborated and sent to the Regional Office.
- Project/programme reports required by Development Partners and/or other Stakeholders
- Increase FAO presence in the media.
- Maintain and update a database with all the relevant contacts (i.e. press, spokespersons and focal points) from the different institutions, organizations and government ministries involved/interested in FAO activities;
- University degree in communication, journalism, media studies, public relations, or relevant field.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience working in Communications / media / PR field.
- Exemplary written and oral communication skills in English and Arabic languages. French is a plus.
- National of Lebanon.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Previous experience with international organizations or NGOs;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, good knowledge and experience in handling of web-based management systems;
- Intermediate knowledge of graphic design softwares (Adobe InDesign, Photoshop and illustrator) ;
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team;
- Knowledge of United Nations or other international organizations;
- Knowledge and experience of working with the media in Lebanon.