FAO, as a dynamic and renewed organization, is the recognized leader in the fight to eradicate hunger and rural poverty and in the promotion of agriculture, fisheries and livestock while promoting sustainable management of the environment and natural resources for the benefit of communities and rural people in need.
Communications and visibility are among the core support activities of the FAO Representation of the Philippines. The National Communications Specialist will play a key role in increasing awareness about the impact of FAO’s work in the country, strengthening overall branding and visibility and supporting resource mobilization, among others.
The Organization frequently engages experts to work on short-term projects as personal service providers (PSA) to provide expertise, skills or knowledge for the performance of a specific task or piece of work, which would be short-term by nature. The assignment can be from 1 month up to 11 months. The possibility of extension is subject to satisfactory performance and depending on the resources and needs of the Organization.
The objective of the Call is to attract talented individuals with experience and background in communications to populate a roster. Experts who are registered in the Roster are available for consideration whenever relevant opportunities arise.
The consultant will report to the FAO Representative and the Assistant FAO Representative (Programme) and close coordination with relevant staff in Programme Unit.
In regular consultation and coordination with the Regional Communication Officer, FAORAP the incumbent shall ensure coherence with FAO’s corporate communication policy and operational guidelines for all communication and information outputs.
Technical Focus: The National Communications Specialist will be in charge of all communications, visibility, advocacy and outreach activities of FAO Philippines.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Improve awareness and understanding of FAO, its mission and emergency and development programmes in the Philippines;
- Contribute to the resource mobilization efforts of the Country Office and to the preparation and implementation of a fundraising strategy for both long term projects and eventual emergency response needs;
- Working under the supervision of the FAO Representative, implement and update the country communication strategy and other plans as needed;
- Develop and produce communication products to showcase FAO’s work and advocate for needs in the sector, including but not limited to key messages, briefs, brochures, talking points, success stories and presentations;
- Liaise closely with the Programme Unit to ensure coherence and accuracy of information used in communication products;
- Develop and maintain a network of media contacts in the country; organize press conferences/briefings; draft press releases, media-style briefs, talking points and Q&A;
- Liaise with relevant departments of the Office for Corporate Communication (OCC) at FAO Headquarters and the FAO the Regional Communications officer at the FAO Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific (RAP) to facilitate exposure of the work of FAO Philippines and needs in the agriculture sector, ensuring accuracy/relevance of content developed and disseminated;
- Facilitate proper dissemination at country, regional and global levels of communication products, including publication on FAO or partner websites, liaising closely with OCC and the Regional Communications Officer;
- Advise on strategic documents in English, in close collaboration with relevant programme staff;
- Provide communication support for events organized by FAO and in which FAO is participating;
- Ensure that FAO Philippines is adequately represented in the UN Country Communications Group (UNCCG) and the Humanitarian Communications Group (HCG) and other relevant fora/meetings to ensure sectoral priorities, the needs of affected populations and the mandate of FAO are well represented;
- Ensure the collection and production of stories, interviews, photos and videos;
- Assist in the identification, communication and promotion of lessons learned and improved practices;
- Regularly update the FAO Philippines website;
- Manage the FAO Philippines social media presence by regularly developing and posting content in the locally-managed Twitter account and regularly contributing content for HQ-managed accounts such as Flickr, Facebook and others.
- The incumbent must have a degree in journalism, mass communications, development communications or relevant social sciences.
- Substantial experience (5+ years) of communications and staff engagement within a high profile global organization, involving the use of new and traditional media is required for this post.
- Working knowledge of English
- A national of Philippines
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Outstanding English communication skills, both verbal and written, with a proven ability to distil complex information and materials into digestible and inspiring messages
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and operational knowledge of Adobe programmes such as Premiere Pro, Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign
- Knowledge of HTML and experience with Typo 3 would be an advantage
- Experience in producing a large volume of communication products, including but not limited to newsletters, web and social media content, etc.
- Experience working with various media outlets in the Philippines and the Asia-Pacific region, as well as social media
- Experience in organizing events and high-level meetings and receptions
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to manage a large workload to achieve set objectives under tight deadlines
- Strong project management skills, including keen attention to detail and ability to follow tasks and ideas through to completion
- A high degree of flexibility and adaptability in order to respond to changing needs in an evolving and complex humanitarian and development context and within multidisciplinary teams
- Competent in establishing and maintaining strong relationships with stakeholders
- Proactive and solutions-oriented approach to work and the ability to identify and implement effective processes for achieving outcomes
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work with a team and with people from diverse backgrounds
- Strong understanding of United Nations and FAO’s work
- Experience working for a development and/or humanitarian organization