How can you make a difference?
As of 26 April 2021, the UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR) reported that an estimated total of 63,000 Ethiopian refugees have entered Eastern Sudan since November 2020. Currently, the total population of refugees in the two camp settlements in Gedaref remains 41,000. Roughly 50 percent of these are settled in each of the two camps, i.e Tunaydbah and Um Rakuba. The remaining 22,000 estimated number of refugees in border entry points (Hamdeyat and Village 8) will be relocated to the Tunaydbah camp in the coming weeks. HCR aims to extend the existing refugee camp (Tunaydbah) to accommodate the remaining population to be relocated from the border entry points. There is an urgent need to provide more services for people with disabilities and youth programming within both refugee camps. Mental Health and Psychosocial Support (MHPSS), Family Tracking and Reunification, provision of basic health and nutrition services, youth engagement, prevention of Gender-Based Violence, and behavioral change communication are the critical needs of the affected population.
UNICEF has been providing basic social services to the affected population since November 2020 under the overall leadership of UNHCR and Commission for Refugees (COR) in Gedaref. The key interventions included the provision of safe drinking water; hygiene kits; basic health and nutrition services including treatment of children with SAM; psychosocial support and linkages to other interventions, including family tracing and reunification of unaccompanied and separated children; and supporting measures to ensure Protection against Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (PSEA).
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Data gathering & data warehousing
- Proactively liaise and gather information from all program sectors /organizations to assess and access existing information (primary and secondary data) on humanitarian, early recovery and development in a real-time data acquisition
- Identify barriers for information collection, collation, analysis and sharing and develop appropriate supportive strategies to overcome these barriers
- Data warehousing of relevant sector datasets focusing on humanitarian and development activities.
- Support sector coordinators/ program in designing different type of assessments and questionnaires and analysis of the collected data both in camps and Host community.
- Support in design, develop and manage data warehouse of relevant sector/program knowledge such as assessments, response, evaluations, reports, gaps, analysis, etc.
- Ensure the data are disaggregated by age and sex according to the need of the program accordingly.
Data analysis and visualization
- Develop and maintain tools to provide appropriate real time information management for coordination, needs assessment systems and monitoring, including situation, performance and results monitoring systems.
- In collaboration with other Information Management Officers, assess and adapt appropriate existing tools including those available in-country and global level.
- From the diverse monitoring tools, develop derivative products such as tables, graphs, maps, infographics, and trend analysis on regularly basis for sector and program as well.
- Manage the flows of information and dissemination in an appropriate way including Humanitarian Response Info, sector bulletin / newsletter / factsheet / dashboard / SitRep / report / maps/ email, etc.
- Adapt and update the 5Ws (Who does What, Where, When and for Whom) response monitoring database to meet the needs of partners
- Perform quality control and cleaning on data stored in databases.
- Adopt and promote the use of information management global and national standards and policies among sectors partners and program implementation.
- Support the preparation of the weekly SitRep and track the information from Activity info.
- Ensure information management leadership to support the organization and development of needs assessment and monitoring activities jointly with sector coordinators and program colleagues.
- Support sector coordinators in developing data share protocol with partners
- Proactively establish and maintain working relations, and share ideas through information management networks and promote synergies with other sectors
- Collect and maintain up to date information and analysis on all current and potential partners, area of work, their capacities (technical and supplies) and performance both in camp and Host community.
- Maintain contact lists and calendar of events at national and sub-national levels for sector partners and refugee working groups.
- Promote and train on the use of standards monitoring tools among UNICEF, Government and humanitarian staff and partners.
- Support in the translation of any information management products in English / Arabic
Support & training
- Maintain regular communication with the Information Management Working Group for the Tigray Crisis
- Develop and strengthen the information management capacity of sector partners Information Management Officers through the conducting of relevant trainings and adequate coaching
- Ensure effective communication, reporting, engagement, and coordination between actors on any information management related matters
- Support and strengthen field assessment and monitoring mechanisms both for emergency and development interventions.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- University degree in Statistics, Mathematics, information technology, geo-informatics or related field.
- Formal training in sector information management is an asset
- Minimum of 2 years of relevant experience at professional level.
- Exposure to humanitarian context/ development information management is an asset.
- Experience in sector coordination and knowledge of humanitarian setting is an asset.
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft office suite such as Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Publisher, One Drive, Power BI, etc.
- Strong databases management principles
- Good knowledge in QGIS/ARCGIS, Adobe illustrator.
- Good knowledge in analysis tools such as R script, R Shiny, Python, and others
- Knowledge of the Django framework or Big Data tool is a strong asset
- Excellent communications and technical writing using both narrative and graphic presentations to various audiences
- Knowledge in assessment/survey, monitoring and evaluation
- Strong knowledge in mobile data collection tools such as KoBo Toolbox/ODK
- Diplomatic and able to establish excellent working relations with partners
- Facilitation and capacity-building skills
- Ability to perform several tasks in a timely manner with a focus on quality
- Willingness and ability to work in difficult environments, in often stressful time-critical situations.
- Cultural and gender awareness and sensitivity
- Fluency in English and Arabic