UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
UN Women is seeking to recruit a consultant to provide technical and oversight support to the 16 GBV shelters currently under the management of ActionAid International Uganda and Mifumi with Ministry Gender, Labor and Social Development taking on a policy oversight role. In particular, the job requires strong knowledge and experience in implementing ending violence against women and girls and managing shelters and services for survivors (health, education, economic empowerment, legal aid), programming and policy support at national and district levels and an in-dept understanding of challenges facing women and girls’ access to shelters and quality essential services. It also requires supporting and developing mutually reinforcing partnerships with Government counterparts, UN organizations, private sector entities, and CSOs.
Duties and Responsibilities
Provide technical support to the implementation of the Sustainability of GBV Shelters for Effective Prevention and Response to GBV in Uganda project.
- Support monitoring and measurement of project progress (programme activity, results and indicators) and tracking the delivery of funds and prepare project reports as required;
- Review and coordinate the submission of implementing partner financial and narrative reports.
- Monitor the implementation of proposals by responsible partners
- Provide inputs to quarterly reports, donor reports and other reports on outputs, results outputs and outcomes;
Provide technical assistance and capacity development support to project partners
- Provide technical support to the implementation of programme activities with partners;
- Contribute to organizing quarterly programme review meetings with all EVAWG partners.
Development of Strategy for Sustainability of Shelters
- Support in the development of the strategy for sustainability of shelters with MGLSD leading the process. The Strategy should capture lessons learned from similar initiatives, coordination of all response initiatives, available resources, and existing structures in a community.
Working with MGLSD support UN Women to strengthen strategic partnerships with stakeholders, actors and development partners for sustainability of the Shelters
- Support MGLSD to convene meetings with different stakeholders for purposes of ensuring sustainability of the shelters
- Support UN Women to build and maintain close liaison with relevant development partners, donors and other actors supporting efforts towards sustainability of the shelters;
- Support UN Women to maintain alliances and strategic partnerships for the advancement of provision of essential quality services for survivors of violence;
- Provide inputs to relevant documentation such as project summaries, conference papers, briefing notes, speeches, and donor profiles.
Contribute to the development of EVAW knowledge products
- Provide inputs to the development of knowledge management products on ending Violence Against Women and Girls
- Provide technical inputs to background documents, briefs and presentations related to ending Violence Against Women and Girls through provision of essential quality services for survivors of violence
- Support in analysis of trends, documentation and synthesis of lessons learned and best practices for dissemination;
- Participate in EVAW/G community of practice with a focus provision of essential quality services for survivors of violence
- Organize, compile and process information related to donors, partners, programme team as inputs to various data bases and documents;
Provide administrative support to the EVAW portfolio.
- Undertake all logistical, administrative and financial arrangements for organization for meetings, workshops, events, and missions;
- Make travel arrangements for the Programme Team, including travel requisitions and claims;
- Draft minutes in meetings, as delegated;
- Support the systematic collection and update information and related on-going or planned bilateral, multilateral and non-governmental programs;
- Ensure up-to-date programme files for audit of programmes/ projects and tracking of programme delivery;
- Organize and coordinate filing of documents; maintain mailing lists.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree or equivalent in social sciences, human rights, gender/ women’s studies, international development, or a related field is required;
- A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying;
- Experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- At least 5 year of relevant work experience in development programme/project implementation, coordination, monitoring and evaluation, donor reporting and capacity building;
- Experience in management of shelters;
- Experience in the programming on EVAWG is an asset;
- Experience coordinating and liaising with government agencies and/or donors is an asset.
- Experience in communication and advocacy on gender and women’s rights.
- Fluency in written and spoken English is essential
- Working knowledge of another official UN language is an asset;
- Knowledge of Uganda and the Great Lakes region is an asset