UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
Purpose of Assignment:
UNICEF has been innovating for children for more than 60 years. Its Office of Innovation supports the organization's 135+ country offices in finding solutions for the world's most vulnerable children. At the country level, UNICEF's innovation work includes engaging in testing and scaling up new partnerships, technologies, and promoting engagement amongst different sectors to develop solutions for key social issues affecting the rights of children and women.
In Bangladesh, the UNICEF Innovation portfolio focuses on Social innovations that will enhance the CO's adolescent programming framework and address some of the key underlying inequities which includes gender, disabilities, and hard to reach areas. One of the key components of the assignment will be to reinforce adolescent participation and engagement and empower young girls and boys to come up with solutions that affect their lives.
UNICEF Bangladesh has launched U-Report, which is a social messaging platform that is designed to empower young people to speak out on issues that they care about in their communities, encourage citizen-led development and create positive change in communities. With the new Country Programme Document (CPD) focusing on adolescents at an outcome level, there is an increased focus on ensuring adolescent participation, for which U-Report is one of the tools. To date, U-Report Bangladesh has 31,000+ U-Reporters sharing their opinions through SMS and other digital channels (i.e., Facebook Messenger, Viber, WhatsApp).
The Digital Engagement Officer is expected to provide overall management of U-Report and technical/logistical support to programme sections (e.g., Health, Nutrition, WASH, Education, Child Protection, C4D, SPEAR, CAP) on the incorporation of U-Report into their adolescent participation agendas under the general guidance of Innovation Specialist and the overall supervision of the Gender and Development Specialist. The proposed assignment will help solidify the foundation of U-Report initiative by providing the day-to-day management support for coordination, contents creation and promotion.
The Digital Engagement Officer is expected to ensure that information collected through U-Report feeds into UNICEF’s programmes and the Government of Bangladesh’s policy and programmes for adolescents and young people. U-Report data and information will be shared with U-Reporters for their community-led actions and with decision makers and practitioners for policy advocacy, awareness raising and programme design, planning and monitoring. The Digital Engagement Officer will ensure continued and sustained usage of the U-Report system by partners, decision makers and practitioners as a part of adolescent participation framework. In line with U-Report strategy, it is expected that Digital Engagement Officer promotes U-Report to ensure that voices of young people are highlighted, incorporated and addressed at national and sub-national levels.
As per the proposed assignments, the ToR would require that the consultant be based in BCO with travel to field offices as needs arise.
U-Report Operational Support
- Work with UNICEF programme staff to identify advocacy priorities/subjects for polls, plus thematic groups to respond to critical unsolicited questions raised by children and young people (including helpline and referral information).
- Support in organizing internal working group of programme colleagues to identifying needs and utilise data in programming.
- Manage U-Report poll calendar in consultation and coordination with programme sections, U-Report Steering Committee members, partners and U-Report Youth Advisory team
- Manage U-Report Bangladesh website and Facebook page to maintain user engagement with regular content, including on current polls, and respond to non-technical comments and questions.
- Maintain SMS and digital channels (i.e., Facebook Messenger, Viber, WhatsApp) in coordination with Digital Solution Center, Global Innovation Center, RapidPro hosting company and relevant parties
- Actively monitor U-Report initiatives through review of incoming messages, feedback, consultative meetings and/or exchange of information with partners/stakeholders to assess progress, identify bottlenecks and potential problems and take timely actions to resolve issues and/or refer to relevant officials for timely resolution
- Create Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) of U-Report implementation and RapidPro
- Document use cases of U-Report data to improve programmes and empower young people
- Support in organization of U-Report Steering Committee meeting and U-Report Youth Advisory team meeting
- Support in preparing updates and update best practices. Participate in regional and global U-Report network calls
- Provide support for management, deployment and scale up of U-Report
Promotion and Capacity Building
- Provide support to plan promotion activities of U-Report so young people join the project and participate
- Prepare promotional materials (e.g., flyer, leaflets, poster, T-shirts, radio promotion, SMS promotion) to support promotion activities
- Plan and implement campaigns, advertisement and promotional events using RapidPro
- Provide training of U-Report to partners and programme section colleagues on the deployment and utilization of U-Report
- Provide support to prepare quarterly updates to Bangladesh country office on progress made and bottlenecks experienced in scale up and use of U-Report
- Continue to promote U-Report via community radio and other media, including integrating into other stories and activities
- Support to programme integrations by adopting best practices and support the Emergency team in using U-Report in Disaster Risk Reduction and Accountability to Affected Populations
- Support events, presentations and campaigns related to U-Report and BCO innovation portfolio.
Advocacy and Awareness Raising
- Set up a system to ensure that the information collected via U-Report is available to UNICEF program sections to guide their activities and advocacy with decision makers
- Ensure regular feedback to U-Report users on results and how information is used
- Work with UNICEF Bangladesh partners to increase roll out
Education: An Advanced University Degree in Social Sciences, Development, Education, IT, Journalism, Communications or other relevant discipline is required.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in partnership development, youth engagement and youth outreach.
- Professional experience in social programme development, planning, management and/or monitoring in adolescent and/or gender programming is required, preferably at the international level.
- Relevant experience working with government ministries, national/local institutions, civil society organizations including youth /adolescent organizations and UN Organizations in various areas of program/project development and management
- Experience in establishing, deploying and scaling up projects for adolescents and young people (e.g., U-Report, RapidPro) is desirable but not essential.
- A strong understanding of UNICEF's mission and vision as well as its programmes through direct or indirect work experience with UNICEF.
- Understanding of community-based channels of influence, community-based communication and development, participatory methodologies
- Strong writing and communication skills and the aptitude to handle competing messages and priorities with multiple audiences.
- Training and/or familiarity with information systems and communication technologies is an asset.
- Proven capacity to work with and lead collaborative teams across various locations and with different technical skills.
LANGUAGE PROFICIENCY: Oral and written proficiency in English and Bangla is required. Any Bangla local language is an asset.