EU4Climate Project helps governments in the six EU Eastern Partner countries - Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, the Republic of Moldova and Ukraine - to take action against climate change. It supports countries in implementing the Paris Climate Agreement and improving climate policies and legislation. Its ambition is to limit climate change impact on citizens lives and make them more resilient to it. EU4Climate is funded by the European Union (EU) and implemented by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
The objective of the project is to support the development and implementation of climate-related policies by the Eastern Partnership countries that contribute to their low emission and climate resilient development and their commitments to the Paris Agreement on Climate Change. It identifies key actions and results in line with the Paris Agreement, the "20 Deliverables for 2020”, and the key global policy goals set by the UN 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. The project will also translate into action priorities outlined in the Eastern Partnership Ministerial Declaration on Environment and Climate Change of October 2016. The project will be implemented in 2019-2022.
The following results will be achieved:
- Finalized/up-dated nationally determined contributions and national mid-century strategies and communicated to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC),
- Improved inter-institutional awareness and coordination at political and technical level of the Paris Agreement and the corresponding national commitments,
- Established or strengthened measurement, reporting and verification (MRV) systems, with countries getting on track with Paris Agreement transparency requirements,
- Establishment of concrete sectoral guidelines for the implementation of the Paris Agreement in each of the Eastern Partners, especially in the field of energy
- Advanced alignment with EU acquis as provided by bilateral agreements with EU and in the context of the Energy Community Treaty,
- Increased mobilization of climate finance, and (vii) Enhanced adaptation planning.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Programme Specialist and Programme Analyst of Climate Change, Environment and Energy Cluster, the incumbent provides effective and efficient management of the project through a range of actions contributing to the design, planning, management and monitoring of project activities. The Project Manager applies and promotes the principles of results-based management (RBM), as well as a client-oriented approach consistent with UNDP rules and regulations. He/she is responsible and accountable to the Project Board for the project results.
- The Project manager works in close collaboration with the Programme, Operations, Communications and other project teams in the Country Office (CO) for effective achievement of results, anticipating and contributing to resolving complex programme/project-related issues and information delivery. The incumbent is expected to exercise full compliance with UNDP programming, financial, procurement and administrative rules, regulations, policies and strategies, as well as implementation of the effective internal control systems.
- The National Coordinator in close cooperation with UNDP Country Office will ensure the provision of development services and products (commensurate with the scope of the Programme) of the highest quality and standards to national counterparts and clients through applying HRBA and GE approaches. More specifically:
Annual Work Planning, implementation and reporting:
- Preparation of all required work planning and reporting in terms of their technical content including AWP, Annual Project Progress Report, Quarterly progress updates/reports, Terminal Project report etc
- Preparation of technical reports in specific area of expertise (climate change/NDC; MRV; NAP etc); coordination of all technical work under the national component of the regional project
- Technical support provided to CO and to IRH regional project component, supporting corresponding regional activities; provision of technical inputs into various UNDP corporate technical documents;
Provides effective support to mobilization of technical expertise and financial resources of the project:
- Drafts TORs aligned with the project document outputs and expected results; coordinates TOR development with UNDP CO, UNDP IRH and national partners (as necessary) in terms of expected results; in coordination with UNDP CO secures ownership and participation of key national partners from line ministries in the project’s technical work;
- Exercises responsibility and oversight over the hiring of knowledgeable national experts and their work, in order to implement activities and ensures quality deliverables
- Supervises the technical national consultants’ teams, provides leadership and guidance; acts as a quality assurance for all the technical deliverables
- Ensures effective team leadership by holding periodical technical staff meetings, checking progress towards delivery of technical reports, ensures quality of deliverables; facilitates national partners’ involvement and ownership over the technical knowledge products;
Responsibility over technical knowledge management products:
- Reviews, follow-ups and finalizes all technical reports, best practices, lessons learned, publications, etc. prepared by the project.
- Consolidates and analyzes country challenges, needs, current status of Paris Agreement progress implementation in the context of SDGs and EaP agenda;
- Liaises and closely consults with the ICTA/Regional Project Manager in order to ensure that technical direction of the project implementation at national level is aligned with the regional work and with the overall project document and AWP;
- Ensures provision of technical information and briefs, inputs to ICTA/Regional Project Manager and supports various UNDP corporate reports, briefs, inputs into policy papers, advocacy and information materials etc.
Knowledge management, events:
- Organizes and facilitates technical events at national level and supports the exchange of information/experiences during regional events, with the participation of other beneficiary countries (as agreed with the ICTA/Project Manager);
- Assists the ICTA/Project Manager in organizing regional events, by identifying themes based on national needs/context to support the framing and design the regional dialogue agenda;
- Assist in developing of NDC meetings/events formats to optimize peer-to-peer learning and south-south exchange;
- Oversees logistics related activities of national NDC or other technical events (or participation of national partners in regional events) in particular ensures the participation of all the relevant key stakeholders in NDC implementation and ensures overall smooth dialogue;
- Designs targeted sessions for discussions on NDC/MRV/NAP related policy issues at the national or regional NDC events;
- Consolidates and analyzes national experiences form NDC meetings and shares these experiences;
- Contributes to the development of knowledge products (eg. Guidance, documents, articles, blogs etc)
- Supports the preparation of case studies and lessons learned based on technical work carried out in the country and under the project;
- Prepares and delivers presentations (on technical and NDC events), briefing materials, talking points, contributions to corporate materials etc
Monitoring and evaluation:
- Responsibility for ensuring the practical tasks required to effectively implement the M&E plan are performed and that an appropriate database is established to enter, process and generate materials required to measure project progress towards indicators.
- The National Technical Coordinator will play a central role in supporting the midterm and final UNDP Independent Evaluations.
Perform any other duties connected directly with the implementation of the Project as required.
Key Results: The key results have a direct impact on the overall successful achievement of the Climate Change, Environment and Energy Programme. Accurate analysis and presentation of information enhances UNDP’s position as a strong development partner. The information provided facilitates decision-making of the Project Steering Committee, the Beneficiary and UNDP management.
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values.
- Exerts strict adherence to corporate rules, regulations and procedures. Familiarity with the internal control framework and results-based management tools is a must.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Ensures that programmes and projects are consistent with UN/UNDP values
- Treats peers fairly by maintaining consistent values inspiring trust and confidence through personal credibility
- Accepts responsibility and accountability for the quality of the outcome of his/her decisions
Knowledge Management and Learning:
- Shares knowledge and experience
- Focuses on tasks/activities which have a strategic impact on programme and capacity development activities
- Promotes a supportive environment to enhance partnerships, leverages resources and build support for UNDP’s strategic initiatives
- Collaborates with regional, national and local partners to create and apply knowledge and concepts that will help partners achieve UNDP’s development objectives within the country and regional context
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise / In-depth knowledge of the Subject-matter:
- Understands more advanced aspects of primary area of specialization as well as the fundamental concepts of related disciplines
- Serves as internal consultant in the area of expertise and shares knowledge with staff
- Continues to seek new and improved methods and systems for accomplishing the work of the unit
- Keeps abreast of new developments in area of professional discipline and job knowledge and seeks to develop him/herself professionally
- Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Good knowledge and understanding of climate change and disaster risk reduction commitments assumed by the country
- Solid understanding of NDC process under the UNFCCC and demonstrated knowledge of climate change concepts related to NDCs
Development and Operational Effectiveness:
- Ability to perform a variety of specialized tasks related to Results-Based Management, including support to design, planning and implementation of Programme, managing data, reporting
- Ability to provide input to business processes, re-engineering, implementation of new system, including new IT based systems.
- Ability to engage with various partners and stakeholders at different levels, to establish and maintain contacts with senior-level officials of the host government and represent UNDP in national and regional fora.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, is required to obtain, evaluate and interpret factual data and to prepare accurate and complete reports and other documents.
- Capacity to implement the strategic vision and programmatic goals as laid down in the Project Document;
- Proven performance in organizing and coordinating major initiatives, events or challenging inter-organizational activities;
- Adapts flexibly to changing situations, overcomes obstacles and recovers quickly from set-backs
Leadership and Self-Management:
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Ability to achieve results and meet strict deadlines in an effective manner, maintaining a high quality standard throughout
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Tolerates conditions of stress, uncertainty or ambiguity and continues to maintain a positive outlook and to work productively
- Demonstrated ability to manage a team and to foster team spirit and synergy
Required Skills and Experience:
Education: Master’s Degree in Economics; Energy; Environment/natural resource management; climate change mitigation and/or adaptation; or other relevant field. Additional training and certification in project management would be an advantage.
- At least 5 years of work experience in project implementation, including management of experts’ team in international organizations is required.
- At least 3 years of experience in relevant areas: climate change, Paris Agreement key technical areas; sustainable development is required.
- Previous experience with EU/UNDP projects is an advantage.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.
- Fluency in oral and written English, Romanian and Russian.
- Working knowledge of one or more additional languages relevant for Moldova, including Bulgarian, Gagauzian, Romani, Ukrainian or sign language is an asset.