National Director, World Vision
World Vision, Herat, Afghanistan
Closing Date for Applications:
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
- Provide strategic leadership and Senior Management oversight of the design, operation and funding of World Vision’s ministry in Afghanistan.
- Lead the Senior Leadership Team, ensuring that the strategy implementation is meeting desired goals and objectives and that the Afghanistan office is appropriately structured, financially viable and appropriately resourced and compliant with WV policies.
- To represent World Vision and the National Office externally as deemed appropriate including with host government representatives, donors, SOs, partners and other WV Partnership offices.
- Lead the alignment of the country strategy with the overall World Vision International partnership Our Promise 2030 strategy.
- Ensure strategic and operational alignment of all National Office functions to meet humanitarian needs while considering operational feasibility and technical quality.
- Lead and be accountable for business planning, annual budgeting and acquisition of funding to implement the strategy (includes ensuring proper cost recovery in all grants and other funding streams).
- Lead in assessment and implementation of enterprise risk management and business continuity contingency planning.
- Leadership & Management:
- Promote WV’s Vision, Mission, Core Values and key global Partnership standards and practices across offices and partner agencies.
- Lead and mentor the Senior Leadership Team in a manner that facilitates a high performance culture, openness, trustworthy & strong relationships, collaboration, integrity & decisiveness.
- Ensure an organisational structure that results in optimal efficiency and effectiveness.
- Ensure high standards of management of people, financial, capital and technical resources of the Response. Inspiring and maintaining high standards of work and clear accountability to stakeholders.
- Ensure that proper risk management requirements are in place, including standards for monitoring, escalating to and managing incidents.
- Ensure internal communications mechanisms are in place so policies, information and decisions are shared with staff as appropriate.
- Support initiatives for staff care and well-being, both for international and local employees.
- Respect, value and promote gender, age, religious and ethnic diversity.
- Model a high standard of Christian leadership, maturity and integrity as an example to staff, and provide overall spiritual leadership.
Collaboration & Networking:
- Establish and maintain collaborative relationships and partnerships with host government, donors, other NGOs, UN agencies and clusters, humanitarian community, Support Offices, Civil Society and diverse faith-based organisations.
- Ensure that WV-Afghanistan engages in relevant national coordination mechanisms and, where relevant, consortium meetings including representing WV as Head of office/response at relevant NGO coordination meetings and forums.
- Ensure a strong advocacy capacity, in particular child-focused themes aligned with strategy and organizational priorities.
- Ensure World Vision’s presence and effectiveness in Afghanistan and that World Vision leadership receives timely information and mitigation solutions for security and other risk factors.
- Ensure high ministry quality and high impact by developing and implementing programs which meet World Vision highest quality and standards.
- Ensure that all programs are implemented, monitored and evaluated to measure impact and in accordance with donors, SOs, Region and other stakeholders’ frameworks.
- Ensure that proper feedback and complaint mechanisms for beneficiaries, communities, other stakeholders and World Vision staff are in place.
- Ensure adequate technical capacity is in place or externally accessible.
- Ensure measurable improvement in the well-being of children is achieved as evidenced by achieving targeted improvement in the child well-being outcomes.
- Ensure accountability for the implementation of effective ministry to all key stakeholders.
Finance & Compliance:
- Ensure efficient and effective organizational practices that would result in successful financial and operational audit scores.
- Ensure financial resources are managed according to agreements with donors and standards approved by World Vision.
- Ensure a close, effective and supportive relationship is developed with Regional Office to improve efficiency and eliminate unapproved organizational obstructions.
- Ensure that audit reports are responded and recommendations implemented within approved / agreed timeframes in order to ensure risk mitigation.
- Ensure strong operational compliance through timeliness and completeness of program/project reports.
- Exercise good stewardship over all resources by maintaining sound internal controls, risk register, procedures and records according to WVI accountability standards.
People & Culture (Human Resources):
- Ensure that P&C policies are adapted and aligned with those of World Vision International.
- Ensure that the quality of staff recruited and retained are at a level to meet the organization’s overall performance expectations.
- Promote a culture of learning and development, employee engagement and good stewardship of human capital in the office.
- Ensure P&C establishes a staff care function and mechanism that supports staff well-being.
- Ensure that World Vision’s security policies and protocols are implemented and monitored on a regular basis.
- Ensure the ongoing monitoring of the external security environment.
- Ensure experienced, high quality staffing of the security function.
Reporting & Knowledge Management:
- Liaise with programme and information management teams to ensure internal and external reporting requirements are planned for, aligned and meet quality and deadline requirements.
- Ensure that communication products are developed and disseminated to internal and external audiences.
- Ensure internal coordination & information sharing mechanisms result in improved staff awareness and performance.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- University degree or qualification in a relevant subject with a focus on team management, project management or other relevant skills.
- Strong commitment to WV’s vision, mission and core values.
- 5 + years proven Senior Leadership experience with International NGOs in emergency relief, rehabilitation and transition programming.
- Proven track record of leading multi-cultural teams in complex, culturally and politically-sensitive contexts.
- Proven track record of grant acquisition and management and growing and managing multi-million dollar budgets.
- Knowledge of UN humanitarian architecture and donor community.
- Politically astute and well developed diplomatic skills (dealing with host governments, donors and staff).
- Extensive experience in programme management and implementation of multi-sectoral emergency response projects.
- Strong communication skills (oral and written) with ability to express ideas and concepts clearly and persuasively with senior internal and external stakeholders.
- Demonstrated success as a collaborator and team builder committed to the transfer of knowledge.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure.
- Responsible steward of resources and assets.
- Innovator and calculated risk taker.
- Understands, values and promotes diversity to achieve organizational goals.
- Knowledge of computer software such as MS Office and email programs.
- Fluent in English (written and oral).
- Experience in Afghanistan or in other similar fragile-context environment.
- The role of ND Afghanistan requires the ability to work in a dynamic multi-disciplinary environment where internal and external political and military tensions and conflicts are ongoing. A firm understanding of the complex security environments is essential. Also ability to work and lead a multinational / Multicultural team in restricted Muslim context is essential.