Under the supervision of the Finance Specialist, the National Finance Specialist is responsible for effective delivery of financial services, transparent utilization of financial resources and management. This will be done in accordance with UNDP rules, policies and procedures, the grant agreement, and corporate agreements with the GF, and working in partnership with national stakeholders, Sub-recipients (SRs) and Sub-sub-Recipients (SSRs) and close coordination with the GF (including Local Fund Agent), CCM technical partners and UN entities, the GF/HIST.
Duties and Responsibilities
Ensure effective and accurate financial resources management and oversight, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Supports the maintenance of robust internal financial management controls, over all financial processes;
- Timely review of project budget accounts to ensure sufficient funds on hand for disbursements;
- Ensures proper expenditure tracking of financial resources in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations, policies and procedures, grant agreements and corporate agreements with the Global Fund and Global Fund budgeting and financial management guidelines;
- Supports the development of funding requests, grant negotiations and amendments to the grant confirmations;
- Continuous analysis and monitoring of the financial situation, presentation of forecasts for the management of the Global Fund projects;
- Quarterly ageing analysis of advances of all SRs for discussions by Project Coordinator and Finance Specialist and the analysis communicated to and reviewed with partners during monthly SR meetings;
- Coordinates with PMU units (PSM, Programme, CD, ec) to ensure timely processing of accurate disbursement request;
- Supervise the timely acquittal of SR advances in ATLAS after all due diligence has been made, etc;
- Supports the Finance Specialist in maintaining an organizational structure for finance team to ensure adequate resources to deliver UNDP’s commitments, and supports in the recruitment/procurement of staff, contractors, service providers, fostering diversity, equity and inclusion;
- Be a primary point of contact for communication with the Global Fund on financial information and provide responses to inquiries (if any) on Global Fund and LFA financial matters;
- Leads on the verifications of Sub-recipients’ expenditures, and promptly reports to the Finance Specialist on non-compliant expenditures, and supports on follow up actions to resolve issues; and
- Supports the Finance Specialist to continuously train/refresh PMU staff and partner staff on UNDP and GF financial requirements, internal control systems, etc.
Ensure implementation of operational strategies and procedures focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of financial activities, financial recording/reporting system and audit follow up with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, policies and strategies; implementation of the effective internal control, proper design and functioning of the financial resources management system;
- Ensure support to operations business processes and elaboration/establishment of internal standard operating procedures for the CBOs; control of the workflows in the Finance Unit;
- Continuous analysis and monitoring of the financial situation, presentation of forecasts for development and management projects;
- Elaboration and implementation of cost saving and reduction strategies (including introduction and development of e-banking);
- Facilitate audits by the Office of Audit and Investigations and annual SR audits in a timely and effective manner and to ensure audit findings and recommendations are properly addressed and documented for management and reflected in the implementation arrangements;
- Support in responding to inquiries on financial-related matters from the Global Fund, and the Local Fund Agent; and
- Routinely monitors financial exception reports for unusual activities, transactions and investigates anomalies or unusual transitions. Informs supervisors and UNDP PMU Programme Manager of the results of the investigation when satisfactory answers are not obtained.
Manage the budget of development and management projects and organize an optimal workload for Finance Officers at provincial level, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Leads the preparation of project financial reports in compliance with the Global Fund requirements and the periodic Disbursements Requests to be submitted to the LFA/Global Fund for the replenishment of the PR account;
- Follows up on the budget execution of the SRs;
- Prepares budget revisions, as required, resolves any budget exceptions and maintains updated project information in ATLAS;
- Ensure system and processes in place for asset and inventory management for the programme;
- Supports the design of a reporting system for internal and the GF needs and prepares periodic reports as required;
- Analyzes and provides reasons for the budget variances between the actual and budgeted expenditures;
- Supports the Finance Specialist preparing for annual audits of PR and SRs as required by the GF and UNDP and ensures that external auditors have all relevant information;
- Prepares and monitors the Global Fund grant budgets and ensuring that the budget in Hyperion Planning and Budgeting Cloud System is in line with the approved detailed budget;
- Monitors closely the budget utilization in liaison with the PMU Unit heads and conducts analysis of the financial performance by cost input and implementer that should be shared with and discussed at PMU Senior Management meetings; and
- Elaboration of proper mechanisms to eliminate deficiencies in budget management.
Ensure proper cash management, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Timely review of cash position for local accounts to ensure sufficient funds on hand for disbursements; Timely identification and recording of receipts for income application;
- Supports in ensuring compliance with the internal expenditures control system which ensures that vouchers processed are matched and completed, transactions are correctly recorded and posted in Atlas; payrolls are duly prepared; travel claims, and other entitlements are duly processed;
- Ensures timely corrective actions on unposted vouchers, including the vouchers with budget check errors, match exceptions, unapproved vouchers;
- Review FACE form prior disbursement; and
- Timely preparation of monthly cash flow forecast
Ensures capacity building and knowledge sharing on financial matters focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Capacity building of implementing partners on overall financial management;
- Organization of trainings for the SR projects staff on financial management;
- Synthesis of lessons learnt and best practices in financial management; and
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Any other duty assigned by the Finance Specialist.
Required Skills and Experience
Education & Qualification:
- Master’s Degree in Business, Public Administration, Finance or Accounting, or Professional Accounting qualification certificate from an internationally recognized institute of accountancy.
- Those with professional accounting qualification certificate from an internationally recognized institute of accountancy will have a distinct advantage and those without will require the UNDP Advanced Accounting and Finance Test.
- Masters degree with Minimum 5 years of progressive relevant experience at the national or international level in providing financial management advisory services.
- Experience of IPSAS and/or IFRS.
- Strong knowledge of UN or UNDP financial rules, policies and procedures, is an asset.
- Strong knowledge of Global Fund’s financial policies and procedures, is an asset.
- Experience in the management of a team.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems and ERP financials, preferably PeopleSoft.
Language requirements: Proficient in verbal and written English and a local language.