Reducing gender inequalities in the agricultural sector offers a critical development pathway for FAO to achieve its three global goals on reducing hunger and malnutrition, economic development (which includes the elimination of poverty) and the sustainable management of natural resources.
The Consultant will work under the direct supervision of the FAO Representative and Assistant FAO Representative in Kyrgyzstan, under technical guidance and support provided by the FAO REU Gender unit, the Gender Team of the Social Policies and Rural Institutions Division (ESP).
Gender in agriculture, national food security and nutrition.
Tasks and responsibilities
The Consultant will perform the following tasks:
- Provide technical assistance to FAO’s development interventions, with focus on implementation of the CEDAW Article 14 and enhance FAO’s role in strengthening policy and programme linkages between social protection, agriculture, food security and nutrition.
In particular, the Consultant will be expected to:
- Establish and maintain partnership with governmental and other national counterparts and UN partners to ensure that gender equality, rural women’s empowerment and social protection issues are taken into consideration in food security, and nutrition policy processes
- In collaboration with the FAO Gender team, based in the Regional office for Europe and Central Asia, support the gender focal point in the Ministry of Agriculture, Melioration and Food Industry in a) ensuring that agricultural, water governance and food security policies and practices integrate gender concerns; b) contributing to the implementation of relevant measures of the National Action Plan on the achievement of gender equality in the Kyrgyz Republic for 2021-2023
- In collaboration with the UN Gender Theme Group support the implementation of the relevant measures of the National Action Plan for the Implementation of the CEDAW Concluding Observations for the Kyrgyz Republic’s 5th Periodic Report and the UN Gender Theme’s Annual Work Plan for 2021;
- Provide support to ensure that gender equality, rural women’s empowerment and social protection issues are taken into consideration in relevant policy processes
- Organize capacity development activities on gender mainstreaming to FAO office and project staff, relevant government and non-governmental partners, and conduct learning events (trainings, seminars, sessions etc)
- Provide technical support to the FAO Kyrgyzstan, in ensuring that all technical assistance provided in the country, addresses gender and social protection concerns, in compliance with FAO Environmental and social management guidelines,
- Provide support to FAO’s component of the United Nations’ Joint Programme on “Accelerating the economic empowerment of rural women” that FAO is implementing in partnership with IFAD, WFP, and UN Women
- Provide technical support in mainstreaming gender equality and women’s empowerment perspectives into on-going projects, including, but not limited to, TCP/KYR/3702, GCP/KYR/012/FIN, UNJP/KYR/013/UNJ, TCP/KYR/3703, MTF/KYR/021/STF) and pipeline projects.
- Contribute to the development of communication materials and success stories for advocacy and awareness raising on gender issues;
- Support resource mobilization opportunities for FAO Kyrgyzstan on gender equality
- Undertake other duties as required.
- The consultant should pass all mandatory trainings which are required by FAO. VERY IMPORTANT: all staff have to take the mandatory courses within the 1st week of employment
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced degree in in gender, economics, sociology, rural development or, other relevant discipline
- Minimum 8-10 years of work experience in relevant field
- National of the Kyrgyz Republic.