National IT Support and Data Management Expert
Food and Agriculture Organization, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Closing Date for Applications:
- FAO Bangladesh assists the Government of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh (GoB) to formulate policies, programmes and projects to address the root causes of hunger and malnutrition, develop the agriculture, fisheries and forestry sectors, and utilize environmental and natural resources in a sustainable way. It contributes to the development of FAO’s field programme projects in the country and implements them in the sectors of food security, agriculture and rural development.
- The Department of Fisheries (DoF) and the FAO Bangladesh is implementing a Global Environmental Facility’s (GEFs) least developed countries fund (LDCF) project entitled, Community-based Climate Resilient Fisheries and Aquaculture Development in Bangladesh (GCP/BGD/055/LDF). The Project will attempt to remove key barriers to effective adaptation to climate change in the fishery and aquaculture sector by integrating climate resilience in its policy reform and enhance resilience of the fishery sector through capacity development of the fishery officials and the communities depending on fisheries.
- The poor and smallholders in the project areas will benefit from project interventions both socially and financially, including capacity development to adapt to the adverse impacts of climate change and variability. The coastal and inland aquatic ecosystems of this project (covering an area of about 4,790 km2) will be under climate resilient plans and management practices. The long-term sustainability of the project will be promoted by adoption of strategy that promotes up scaling and replication of climate resilient adaptations across Bangladesh, and capacity strengthening of DoFs, partner organizations and local communities on climate change implications and resilient adaptation options.
- To help implement and achieve project results, an IT Support and Data Management Expert is required to support development and maintenance of data and information management system, creation of GIS based planning, implementation, and monitoring of project activities, and design of collaborative web based platform with project partners to ensure maximum sharing and access of project information.
- Under the overall managerial, administrative and technical supervision of FAOR, and direction supervision of the Senior Technical Advisor, and working in collaboration of the FAO IT section and under the coordination of the National Project Coordinator and the National Operations Officer and other project personnel, the incumbent will be responsible and provide specialized support for establishing GIS integrated database information management system, and web based platforms to improve sharing and access of project information and results. His/her main tasks will include:
- The Project will address contradictions and gaps in the policy framework with the view to harmonize aquaculture and fisheries related issues, and enhance resilience of the sub-sector through national capacity development and incorporation of adaptation priorities to cope with climate change. It will strengthen awareness and knowledge of local fishers and fish farmer’s communities, and enhance local adaptive capacity through transfer and adoption of appropriate site-specific climate resilient fisheries and aquaculture intervention technologies and approaches, which will be underpinned by effective knowledge management (e.g. use of ICT-based climate and disaster information services) ensuring wider dissemination of best practices and lessons learned.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Assess the hardware and software requirements and specifications for the project.
- Develop and maintain the project’s electronic data base information system, integrated with GIS for project monitoring and evaluation purposes;
- Design a user friendly web-based information system (project website, web-portal; intranet portal and internet interface) for the project;
- Liase with M&E officer and MEAL unit to coordinate continuous web-based information resource inputs, continuous refining and up-dating of data base of information relevant for all aspects of project management,
- Establish collaborative relationships with other agencies (GoB and other partners) to ensure the maximum sharing and accessibility of project information and references;
- Provide assistance in the development of community maps and other project maps analytical, monitoring and reporting purposes.
- In liaison with DoF as project partner, provide assistance as requested in the development of geographic information and database application.
- Undertake training needs assessment and train the project team to facilitate data collection and analysing of the project related activities.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- A post-graduate degree in Computer Science and Engineering, Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Applied Physics with computer degrees or any related discipline.
- 10 years professional experience in managing intranet portals and high trafficked websites of which at least 5 years’ experience in operation of MIS and GIS in Windows NT network environment.
- Fluency in Bengali, good command of English is desirable with computer literacy.
- Nationality of Bangladesh or resident in the country with a regular work permit.
- Proven experience in designing and maintaining project's database application, trouble-shooting networks, including setting up remote access via telecommunication link.
- Proven experience in designing and maintenance of project's websites.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver training sessions and interaction with government officials and stakeholders.
- Excellent analytical and communication skills (written and spoken) in English and Bangla, resourceful with initiative, maturity of judgment.
- Micro Soft Certified Professional with higher level professional track record will have an added advantage.
- Adaptable to multicultural and multidisciplinary team of experts and willing to undertake intensive field works in the coastal and wetland areas of Bangladesh.
- Ability to work under pressure and to assist the project team with any urgent services.