This position will be based in Manila (Global) Administrative Centre (MAC), Philippines and may only be filled by the country's nationals.
Under the overall guidance of the Director of the Migration Health Department, the various units of the Health Assessment Programme (HAP) Global Support Unit provide services to all missions and medical field operations worldwide. The Migration Health Informatics (MHI) unit is responsible for operational medical software applications, data repositories and statistical reporting.
Under the direct supervision of the Migration Health Informatics Manager, in coordination with the Global Migration Health Research & Epidemiology Coordinator and Health Assessment Programmes (HAP) team in IOM Headquarters, Manila Administrative Center and IOM Washington, the successful candidate will shape and lead the MHI reporting and analysis team and be responsible for quality, content, design and utility of migration health data reporting, statistics and business intelligence products generated by the unit as part of the global support provided to MHD stakeholders, donors and partners.
This position’s principal role is in expanding MHI data activities to information and knowledge generation through the use of data analytical methodologies, including basic and advanced statistics, and quality control; the successful candidate shall take the lead in modern data modelling and mining to support interpretation of migration health data at international level and comparability with information sources from other UN agencies, countries, research and academia.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Ensure that MHD data are accurate, comprehensive, analysable and consistent with national, regional and global health indicators. Work with the validation team, provide guidance on standardization of cleaning and validation procedures.
- Work with the data validation team, provide guidance on standardization of data cleaning and validation procedures.
- Provide MHD HQ, regional offices and field operations with reliable periodic and ad-hoc aggregate and raw data sets for further use in planning, management and analysis.
- Identify and generate high quality and credible migrant health data reports and intelligence products that can be safely shared with governments, external partners and the public.
- In coordination with MHD technical leads, identify reporting priorities and take the lead in the design and generation of advanced, user-friendly web reports and dashboards, which could be used for operational performance analysis, secondary health data analysis, country or migrant population profiling and other purposes as needed.
- Conduct regular and ad-hoc statistical analysis of health data to produce reports for internal and external use.
- Collaborate with the Global Migration Health Research & Epidemiology Coordinator in secondary data analysis and interpretation for scientific research purposes and MHD publications on the health status of migrant populations.
- Improve the integration of statistical data into the MHD data repository and migration health data warehouse.
- Support the MHI manager in defining tasks and workplan of the reporting and analysis team. Supervise and manage day to day activities of the team; provide performance evaluation; identify staff development and training needs.
- Take a lead in training of field staff in data QC, management and analysis.
- Prepare presentations and draft documents on migration health topics when needed. Present MHI products and tools at meetings and events.
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by supervisors.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- University degree in information science, computer science, mathematics or statistics, with 4 years of relevant professional experience and preferable exposure to public health, epidemiology, health or social sciences; or
- Master’s degree in the same fields with 2 years of relevant experience.
- Excellent computer skills in mathematical or statistical software, SQL databases, PowerBI or Tableau, Excel, data reporting and visualization tools and software libraries.
- Proven experience with data analysis, modelling and visualization using the beforementioned or other tools.
- Proven experience working with large and complex databases as source for analysis and reporting. Ability to harmonize data from various data sources and formats.
- Expert knowledge, of data validation and quality control mechanisms, data collection protocols and standard procedures, as well as statistical and mathematical methods used in this context; experience in global data standards, such as ISO 8000, HL7 or openEHR, is an asset.
- Experience in data warehousing, data repository design, business intelligence and data mining is required.
- Knowledge of health and/or socio-demographic indicators at national and international levels and familiarity with renowned global and regional data and information sources such as UN DESA, World Bank Data or the WHO Regional and Global Health Observatories is an asset.
- Exposure to public health data, medical records, patient management or health information systems is an asset.
- Excellent organization and analytical skills, attention to details, and ability to work with minimum supervision.
- Ability to work effectively and harmoniously with and supervise colleagues from diverse cultures and professional backgrounds.