National Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist
Food and Agriculture Organization, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Closing Date for Applications:
- FAO Bangladesh assists the Government of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh (GoB) to formulate policies, programmes and projects to address the root causes of hunger and malnutrition, develop the agriculture, fisheries and forestry sectors, and utilize environmental and natural resources in a sustainable way. It contributes to the development of FAO’s field programme projects in the country and implements them in the sectors of food security, agriculture and rural development.
- The Department of Fisheries (DoF) and the FAO Bangladesh is implementing a Global Environmental Facility’s (GEFs) least developed countries fund (LDCF) project entitled, Community-based Climate Resilient Fisheries and Aquaculture Development in Bangladesh (GCP/BGD/055/LDF). The Project will attempt to remove key barriers to effective adaptation to climate change in the fishery and aquaculture sector by integrating climate resilience in its policy reform and enhance resilience of the fishery sector through capacity development of the fishery officials and the communities depending on fisheries.
- The poor and smallholders in the project areas will benefit from project interventions both socially and financially, including capacity development to adapt to the adverse impacts of climate change and variability. The coastal and inland aquatic ecosystems of this project (covering an area of about 4,790 km2) will be under climate resilient plans and management practices. The long-term sustainability of the project will be promoted by adoption of strategy that promotes up scaling and replication of climate resilient adaptations across Bangladesh, and capacity strengthening of DoFs, partner organizations and local communities on climate change implications and resilient adaptation options.
- The National Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist will be under the overall leadership of the FAO Representative in Bangladesh, the technical supervision of Lead Technical Officer and Project STA with close collaboration with National Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist at the FAO Bangladesh (National MEAL Unit Coordinator); . The M & E specialist will be under direct supervision of the Project STA and Assistant FAO Representative (Programme), and indirect supervision of National Project Coordinatorand Project Manager. .
- The Project will address contradictions and gaps in the policy framework with the view to harmonize aquaculture and fisheries related issues, and enhance resilience of the sub-sector through national capacity development and incorporation of adaptation priorities to cope with climate change. It will strengthen awareness and knowledge of local fishers and fish farmer’s communities, and enhance local adaptive capacity through transfer and adoption of appropriate site-specific climate resilient fisheries and aquaculture intervention technologies and approaches, which will be underpinned by effective knowledge management (e.g. use of ICT-based climate and disaster information services) ensuring wider dissemination of best practices and lessons learned.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Review and refine the project results framework.
- Guide and support PMSU and DoF, to develop, refine and update the project monitoring and evaluation (M&E) framework incorporating performance indicators based on the project document and standardized FAO tools/indicators.
- Develop the theory of change of the project.
- Develop digital data collection tools.
- Develop and maintain information database relevant for all aspects of the project activities.
- Support PMSU and DoF in monitoring and supervising the implementation of project activities at all levels and implementation partners.
- Conduct project activity implementation review and support PMSU to formulate regular progress reports, outlining project achievements against the project M&E framework indicators, challenges and lessons learnt.
- Update the GEF-TT for meeting the mid-term and final evaluation requirement, and support or coordinate all activities of the GoB/FAO/GEF in preparation of mid-term review and final evaluation.
- Assist PMSU and DoF in assessing, identification, publication and dissemination of project best practices, case studies, results, impacts and lessons learnt.
- Establish project level grievance redress mechanism.
- Contribute to reporting against Country Programming Framework indicators.
- Participate and contribute to the FAO MEAL Unit and broader in-house learning process and assessments.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- University Post graduate degree in either Environmental Science, Development Economics, Fisheries Science or any related discipline.
- 10 years professional experience in monitoring and evaluation and good experience in application of geographical information systems and digital data collection tools.
- Fluency in Bengali, good command of English is desirable with computer literacy.
- Nationality of Bangladesh or resident in the country with a regular work permit.
- Demonstrable knowledge and experience in development of project information database
- Demonstrable knowledge and expertise in supporting project mid-term review and final evaluation
- Demonstrable knowledge and experience in climate change or fisheries related projects
- Ability to deliver training sessions, work effectively and with government officials and diverse range of counterparts and stakeholders.
- Adaptable to multicultural and multidisciplinary team of experts and willing to undertake intensive field works in the coastal/wetland haor areas of Bangladesh.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and Bangla
- Those with previous experience, working on GEF projects will have added advantage.